[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WICKLEWOOD, a parish and scattered village, 3 miles W. of Wymondham and E. of Hingham, is in Forehoe union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy court district, Wymondham polling district of South Norfolk, Forehoe division of Hingham rural deanery and Norfolk archdeaconry. It comprises 1564 acres of land, and had 730 inhabitants in 1881, including 137 in Forehoe Hundred Workhouse, which is described below.
Here is a large pond covering 1½ acre and abounding in pike and other fish. Henry VI. granted Wicklewood a market and two fairs, but they became obsolete more than two centuries ago. The soil belongs to many proprietors, the largest of whom is the Earl of Kimberley, lord of the manor of Wicklewood, but here is a small rectorial manor called Ampners, belonging to A.C.H. Percy, Esq., and the executors of the late Rev. B.M. Darby, M.A., as impropriators of the rectorial tithes and patrons of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6 3s. 11½d., and now in the incumbency of the Rev. William Acton, B.A., for whom a new vicarage house was erected about 1863.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is a spacious structure in the Perpendicular style, comprising a lofty nave and chancel, with a massive square tower containing one bell and curiously situated over the south porch. It was restored in 1867. The roof is of open timber, and the steps leading to the rood loft may still be seen behind the pulpit. The chancel contains sedilia and piscina, and in the porch is a holy water stoup. Some fragments of stained glass still remain in the north-east window of the nave. Here are mural tablets of the Colman and Stone families. There was formerly in the same burial ground another Church (St. Andrew) belonging to the rectory, but it was dilapidated in 1367.
Here is a National School, built in 1841.
The Primitive Methodists have a chapel in the parish.
The fuel allotment, 12 acres, was awarded at the enclosure under an Act of the 47th George III., and is let for £15 10s. a year. The tithes were commuted in 1844 for £340 to the impropriators, and £130 to the vicar.
A new Board School was built in 1878 to accommodate 160 children.
FOREHOE INCORPORATION. - All the 24 parishes in Forehoe hundred, except Honingham (in St. Faith's Union), were incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1776 for the maintenance of their poor and the erection of a House of Industry, at Wicklewood, at the cost of £11,000, borrowed, at five per cent. interest, on a tontine scheme of 110 shares. This large workhouse has accommodation for 450 paupers, but it has seldom half that number. The 23 incorporated parishes, forming Forehoe union, comprise about 36,500 acres and 11,971 inhabitants. Their annual expenditure in support of in- and out-door poor since 1838 has averaged only about £4300, but the total amount for the year ending March 25, 1863, was £8555 4s.
The Board of Directors and acting guardians are still governed by their own local Act of Parliament, though they are under the control of the Local Government Board. The Earl of Kimberley is chairman. Messrs. Horace Turner, Thomas L. Lack, Robert Heald, David W. Hughes, G. Lowe, and George Taylor, are medical officers; Mr. Lowe, workhouse medical officer; the Rev. William Acton is chaplain; Mr. H.G. Smith, master; Mrs. E.J. Campling, matron; Miss Mary Ann Clarke, schoolmistress; Mrs. C. Clarke, cook; Mrs. C. Rump, nurse; Mr. H. Leach, porter; Mr. G. Barker, industrial trainer; Mr. Thompson, barber; Mr. H. Murrell and Mr. G.F. Dawes, relieving officers; Mr. George Plumstead, clerk.
The following table is an enumeration of the parishes in the incorporation, showing the territorial extent in acres, their population in 1881, and the parochial assessment.
LETTER-BOX cleared at 6.45 p.m. Letters viâ Wymondham. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office at Wymondham.
Attoe George William farmer Banham Wm. farmer; h Runhall Bishop Samuel farmer Breeze Jas. vict. & frmr. The Wild Man Browes Frederick general shopkeeper Buck Mrs Mary Ann shpkpr. & beerhs Burrell John farmer; h Yaxham Cann Mr Edward Troughton Cann Samuel farmer Carr William blacksmith Chaplin George farmer; h Morley Chenery William carpenter, wheelwright, and blacksmith and beerhs Clarke Charles farmer; h Morley Clarke Edward farmer Cook F. William farmer Doughty James miller Ellis Mrs Hannah beer retailer, beerhouse, The Cherry Tree Evans William farmer Gath James farmer Hatton Christopher farmer Head John farmer Howard Samuel farmer Hubbard Thomas farmer Kett William tailor and postman Knivitt Charles farmer Livock William farmer, butcher, shopkeeper and overseer Long William beerhouse Mallett John Browning farmer Mann Mr Richard Mann Samuel miller Mann William shopkeeper Miller Samuel farmer Office William farmer Pearce William coal dealer Read Benjamin farmer Ritchie Joseph farmer Rowing Achibald [sic] fmr.; & at Deopham Smith William Partridge farmer Turner John farmer and guardian Turner John farmer Wade Mrs Ann frmr.; h Crownthorpe Watling Charles farmer Watts Alfred shoemaker Weston Edward shoemaker Wigby Robert dealer Wilkinson Thos. West frmr. & surveyor Wrigglesworth William farmer Youngman John farmer, Church farm
See also the Wicklewood parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki Norfolk.
Copyright © Pat Newby.