SNORING (LITTLE) is a village and parish, 3 miles E.N.E. of Fakenham, in Walsingham union, Fakenham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Gallow petty sessional division, Fakenham polling district of West Norfolk, Gallow hundred, Burnham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 276 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1524 acres, and has a rateable value of £2127. Lord Hastings is the lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil.
The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a very singular and interesting little fabric, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and round tower. The latter contains one bell, and is detached about five feet from the church, on the south side of the west end. It has small windows with trefoil heads; and its eastern side is flat in the lower part, and has a large round-headed recessed arch with plain Norman imposts, which has evidently been the tower arch of a previous church. The chancel is transitional-Norman, and has two lancet windows at the east end, and a blocked-up Norman doorway on the north side. The nave has two small Norman windows near the west end, but the west window is Decorated, and the other windows are late and modernised. It has two Norman doorways; that on the south side is of a curious transitional-Norman character, having a stilted horse-shoe arch, under which is a pointed one, ornamented with zigzags, and under this again the round arch of the door with shafts in the jambs, having sculptured capitals. The south porch is Decorated. In the south wall long-and-short work is introduced to strengthen the flint work, and the lancet windows at the east end have similiar work in their jambs. The font is late Norman, enriched with sculptured foliage. The whole church was restored in 1881.
Lord Hastings is patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's Book at £12, and consolidated with East Barsham. (See p.140.) Here are 59A. 3R. of glebe.
The SCHOOL was erected in 1865 by the lord of the manor.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1806, is 17 acres. The poor have also two cottages, and 8A. 3R. 5P. of land, let for £19, and derived from the bequests of J. Chappell and other donors. Here was a house of lepers, founded in 1638.
The Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1860.
WALL LETTER-BOX, cleared at 4 p.m., viâ Fakenham, which is the nearest Money Order Office.
Adams Edwd. Barratt miller; h Great Snoring Bowder William schoolmaster Colman John vict. Green Man Cooper Joseph parish clerk Hall James farmer Hall Mrs Maria vict. Bell Hill Charles bootmaker Jackson James farmer Martin Rev. Wm. rector, & E. Barsham Nickalls Fredk. wheelwright & blacksmith Ostler William blacksmith Parker Thomas bootmaker Sheringham Edward farmer Tuddenham John farmer & shopkeeper Turner James farmer
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki Norfolk.
Copyright © Pat Newby.