KENNINGHALL, a small improving market town, on the eastern banks of a rivulet, 3 miles E. by S. of East Harling, and 4 miles S.W. of New Buckenham, has in its parish 1389 inhabitants, and 3524 acres of land, belonging to the Duke of Norfolk, the Earl of Albemarle, N. Cooke, the Calver family, and many smaller proprietors. The Duke is lord of the manor, which is an ancient demesne, and held by the office of King's (now Queen's) butler. The copyholds are on fine certain for the land, and arbitrary for the buildings, and descend to the youngest son.
Kenninghall had anciently a large weekly MARKET, held every Monday, and it was revived about twelve years ago, for the sale of stock, &c., now exposed for sale (toll free) in the large yard at the Crown Inn. Here are also two annual FAIRS for cattle, on July 18th, and sheep, on Sept 30th.
Mr. T.J. Humphrey has an extensive brick and tile yard here, and near the town is Guiltcross Union Workhouse, already noticed at page 421 [which is the entry for Guiltcross Hundred].
In this manor was a seat of the East Anglian kings, from which it derived the name of King's Hall, afterwards corrupted to Kenninghall. The site of the Royal Castle, in which the valiant British Queen Boadicea held her court, is an area of nearly four acres, encompassed with a large foss, and having at each corner an artificial mount. The Conqueror conferred the manor on William de Albini, to be held by the service of chief butler to the kings of England at their coronation. From them, through the Montalts and Mowbrays, it descended to the Howards, Dukes of Norfolk, and possessed free warren, view of frank-pledge, waif, market, fair, assize of bread and ale, a pillory, ducking-stool, and gallows.
On the site of the castle, a mansion, called East Hall, continued to be the residence of the lords of the manor, till it was taken down by Thomas, Duke of Norfolk, who erected, about a furlong to the north-east, a larger and more stately mansion, which, after his attainder, was called Kenninghall Palace, being conferred by Henry VIII. on his daughter, the Princess Mary. This lady often resided here, and Queen Elizabeth also made it one of her summer seats.
It was subsequently restored to the Howard family, and continued to be their chief residence in this county till about the middle of the 17th century, when it was pulled down, and the materials sold. Its site and park are now in two farms, called Kenninghall Place, and still belong to the Duke of Norfolk.
The Church (St. Mary,) has a nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch, and a large square tower at the west end, containing eight bells, and having the crest of Norfolk upon the buttresses. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 17s. 1d., and in 1831, at £250, is enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. Killett, B.A., with 10A. 3R. 26P. of glebe, and a small portion of the rectorial tithes, most of which are in the appropriation of the patron, the Bishop of Ely, but leased to Mrs. and Miss Pope and Charles Wright, Esq. The Church Land is 7A., let for £17 a year.
Here is a Particular Baptist Chapel, erected in 1807, and a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1835. The former was built by Mr. T.J. Humphrey, who settled it in trust for the use of the congregation, which was formed in 1799, under the ministry of the Rev. Thos. Smith, of Shelfanger. The Rev. Henry Howell is its present pastor.
The town has a good fire-engine, purchased in 1843.
The poor have £2. 10s. yearly from Bowle's Charity, as noticed with Banham, and a yearly rent-charge of 20s., left by Dorothy Gawdy, in 1616. The Fuel Allotments, awarded at the enclosure in 1799, consist of 24A. 35P. of fen, and 26A. 3R. 34P. of heath, on which a barn was built in 1802, at the cost of £120. The poor cut fuel on the fen, but the herbage is let with the heath land, at rents amounting to about £50 a year, which is distributed in coals.
The POST OFFICE is at Mr. Samuel Wells'. Letters are received from East Harling, at 9 morning, and despatched at 4 afternoon.
Barham Eliz. and Dinah milliners Bond Wm. poulterer Briggs John gardener Calver Danl. (Executors of) solicitor Carter Wm. gent Cook Mrs Hanh Clarke Saml. turner & patten mkr Davy Robert watchmaker Dent Peter surgeon Dixon Zach. brazier & ironmonger Hewel Rev Henry (Baptist min.) Humphrey John gentleman Humphrey Theophilus John brick and tile manufacturer, and agent for Suffolk Amicable Ins. office Kent Geo. regr. & relieving officer Killett Rev Wm., B.A. Vicarage Linstead George saddler, &c Morley James parish clerk Rackham Thos. master of Guiltcross Union Workhouse, and registrar of marriages Sayer George cabinet maker Reeve Mrs Ann Turner Mr Charles Turner Thos. superintendent registr Wade John whitesmith Wells Samuel brewer and maltster INNS AND TAVERNS. Collings James Crown Wilde Matthew George (& painter, plumber, and glazier) Crook Robert Red Lion Mills Robert White Horse Academies. Bailey Hy. Fdk. Ellis Thirsa Harvey Robt. (& bookbinder) Horne Miss Bakers. Beer Houses. Long Zachariah Jackson Robert Mason John Mallett Henry Wells Samuel Blacksmiths. Boot & Shoe Mkrs. Barker Thomas Horne John Collings James Horne J. jun. (& currier) Wade Nathaniel Moyse George Smith Robert Smith Thomas Bricklayers. Butchers. Barham Robert Beales John Osborne George Huggins Wm. Carpenters. Coopers. Avis E. Daines Robert Bailey Charles Davy Robert Corn Millers. Crook Robert Garrod Wm. Long Henry Reeve James Wells Wm. FARMERS. Avis Ann Humphrey T.J. Bilham Stephen Reeve Samuel Burlingham Jas. Ruffle Fdk. John, (agent to Cooke Natl. Esq. Farmers' Fire Office) Grange Spurling Daniel Coulson John Wells John Cracknell Wm. West Wm. Fincham and Weston John Everett Wretham John Green John Youels James Harvey George Youels Robert Holmes Richard Grocers & Dprs. Betts Charles (& wine merchant) Bryant Richd. (& merchant) Rivett Robert (& brush maker) Wells Samuel Tailors. Wheelwrights. Buxton James Clarke Thos. sen. and junior Coe Robert Garrett Benj. Cooke Thomas Lawrence Steph. Thurlow John Napthen Robert Turner JamesCOACH to Norwich, from the Crown, Sat. 7½ mg. & Carriers to Norwich, Bury, &c. Tue. and Friday
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki Norfolk.
Copyright © Pat Newby.