Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome

Norfolk: Kenninghall

Hunt's Directory of East Norfolk with Part of Suffolk, 1850

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

KENNINGHALL, formerly known as Kings' Hall, from having been the seat of the East Anglian Kings, is a small town, holding a weekly market for cattle on Saturday; distant 18 miles S.W. of Norwich, 4 miles S.W. of Buckenham, and 3 miles E. of East Harling.

Boadicea, the British Queen of martial notoriety, had a castle here, wherein she held her courts; and the "good Queen Bess" selected Kenninghall Palace as one of her summer residences. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor, which is an ancient demesne: previous to the middle of the 17th century, his grace's ancestors inhabited the palace (which at that period was pulled down), and long anterior to the time of Elizabeth, they occupied a mansion called East Hall, which stood upon the same site, as the Palatial residence, and its aged predecessor, the Royal castle.

Two annual FAIRS are held here, the one on July 18th, for cattle, and the other on September 30th, for sheep. The parish comprises an area of 3524 acres, and the population in 1841 was 1389.

POST-OFFICE, at Mark Mordey's. Letters delivered 8.30 a.m. and despatched to Norwich and all parts, via East Harling, at 5.30 p.m.

	Ackland   Robert           ironmonger and brazier
	Avis      Joseph           carpenter
	Bailey    Charles          carpenter
	Bailey    Geo.             'White Horse' (licensed to let horses, &c.)
	Banham    Cubitt S.        grocer & draper
	Barham    Eliz. and Dinah  milliners
	Barham    Robert           bricklayer
	Barker    Thomas           blacksmith
	Beales    Samuel           butcher
	Bond      William          poulterer
	Bowen     John             'George' (& carrier)
	Briggs    John             gardener
	Bryant    Richard          corn & coal mercht. agent to the
	                             Suffolk Amicable fire office
	Buxton    James            tailor
	Calver    J.C. and D.H.    solicitors, and agents to the Norwich
	                             Union fire and life office
	Clark     William          baker
	Clarke    Samuel           turner and patten maker
	Coe       Robert           grocer and draper
	Collings  James            'Crown' (& blacksmith)
	Cooke     Mrs. Hannah
	Cooke     Robert           tailor
	Crook     Robert           miller
	Daines    Robert           cooper
	Davy      John             cooper
	Davy      Robert           watchmaker
	Dent      Peter            surgeon
	Ellis     Ellen            school
	Foyster   John             painter, glazier, &c.
	Garrod    Benjamin         wheelwright
	Harvey    Robert           school and bookbinder
	Horne     John             shoemaker and currier
	Howell    Mr. Henry        (bapt. minister)
	Huggins   William          butcher
	Jackson   Robert           beer retailer
	Kendall   Maria            school (& boarding)
	Kent      George           registrar, relieving officer
	Linstead  George           saddler, &c.
	Long      Henry            miller
	Mallett   Henry            beer retailer
	Mordey    Mark             stationer, bookseller and postmaster
	Morley    James            parish clerk
	Moyse     George           shoemaker
	Murton    Robert           machine maker
	Napthen   Robert           wheelwright
	Newson    Charles          merchant
	Nunn      Richard          auctioneer
	Osborne   George           bricklayer
	Pigg      Alfred           grocer and draper
	Priest    Wm.              inland revenue officer
	Procter   Rev. Richard     (vicarage)
	Rackham   Thomas           master of Guiltcross Union Workhouse,
	                             and registrar of marriages
	Reeve     David            brickmaker
	Reeve     Mrs. Ann
	Rivett    Elizabeth        grocer, draper and brush maker
	Sayer     George           cabinet maker
	Smith     John             baker
	Smith     Robert           shoemaker
	Smith     Thomas           shoemaker
	Turner    Jph. G.          tea dealer & druggist
	Wade      John             whitesmith
	Wells     William          miller
	Wharton   Leonard          collector of taxes
	Womack    Micah            miller
	Womack    William          miller
	Woman     Henry            'Red Lion' (and butcher)


	Aldis     William          Long      Zedekiah (and maltster)
	Avis      Elizabeth        Reeve     David
	Avis      Joseph           Reeve     George
	Bilham    Stephen          Spurling  Daniel
	Bunn      John             West      Robert
	Coulson   John             Weston    John
	Coulson   John, jun.       Wharton   Leonard
	Cracknell William          Wretham   John
	Fincham   William          Youels    James  (and dealer)
	Green     John             Youels    Robert (and dealer)
	Holmes    Richard
CARRIERS to Norwich; Bowen, Tues. 4 aft.; also, Fisk, Monday and Thursday, 4 afternoon.

See also the Kenninghall parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki Norfolk.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2009