[Transcription copyright © Juanita Hadwin]
BARNHAM-BROOM is a small village, 4½ miles N. by W. of Wymondham, and 9 miles W. of Norwich. Its parish, which includes the hamlet of Bickerston, or Bixton, nearly a mile N. of the church, is in Forehoe hundred, union and petty sessional division, Wymondham county court and Norwich bankruptcy district, Wymondham polling district of South Norfolk, rural deanery of Hingham and archdeaconry of Norwich. It had in 1881, 428 inhabitants living on 1774 acres of land of a rateable value of £3204 10s.
The parish is chiefly the property of the Earl of Kimberley, lord of the manor of Barnham Rysks and Bickerston; but Captain F. Ives has an estate here; and the Corporation of Norwich own 90 acres, and are lords of the manor of Barnham Hawkins. (See Norwich). The Old Hall, on the west side of the village, is a fine Elizabethan house, built in 1614. The rooms are lofty, and have moulded ceilings; that of a large room (now forming two bedrooms) on the first floor being especially remarkable for the richness and beauty of its decorations.
The CHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul) is a handsome building in the Perpendicular style, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower. The latter contains five bells, and is surmounted by stone figures of the symbols of the Evangelists at the four corners. The chancel screen is very beautiful, and its panels bear paintings of saints. There is a large piscina with an opening at the side, in the chancel; and in the south wall of the nave are a piscina and an aumbry. Here is a marble tablet of the Ganning family.
In 1850-1, the building was thoroughly restored, fitted with new oak seats, pulpit, and reading-desk, and furnished with an organ, at a total cost of £750, given by the rector. At the same time a new western doorway was made, and the bell-frame and the flooring of the tower were repaired at the expense of the rector and parishioners. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12 8s. 1½d., and now at £604, with the rectory of Bixton and the vicarage of Kimberley annexed to it, is in the gift of the Earl of Kimberley, and incumbency of the Rev. Arthur C. Wodehouse Upcher, B.A., who has a spacious residence with pleasant grounds, near the church.
Bixton, or Bickerston, had anciently a church, the foundations of which are still visible.
Here is a National School, erected in 1841, by the late rector, and attended by about 90 children.
The church annuity of £4 per annum is paid by the Earl of Kimberley. The Town Lands, which had been vested in trust from the time of Henry VIII., were exchanged at the enclosure in 1811, for 9A. 28P., let for £25 a year, which is carried to the poor rates. The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure, consists of 18A. 3R. 29P., let for £13 a year, which is distributed in coals.
POST, MONEY ORDER OFFICE and SAVINGS BANK at David Foyster's. Letters viâ Wymondham, are delivered at 8 a.m., and despatched at 5.50 p.m.
Andrews John carrier Ashmore Miss Mary Ann schlmstrs Bennet Henry vict. The Horse Shoes Cannell John veterinary surgeon Childs Bazley blacksmith Cunningham Mrs Mary A. victualler, The Bell Davey Walter farmer Duffield George blacksmith Fisher Josiah inspector of weights and measures Foyster David harness-maker and sub-postmaster Gapp Henry farmer Garner Mrs Caroline frmr. & carrier Garner Elijah shoemaker Harvey John farm bailiff Hipperson Jas. farmer & bricklayer Hughes Rev. Cecil curate King George parish clerk Knights Geo. carpntr. & wheelwright Mace Stephen grocer and draper Mace Mr Thomas Norton William shoemaker Spinks William farmer Turner Thomas Seppings farmer Upcher Rev. A.C.W. The Rectory Vassar Dalton farmer Woodrow Walter farmer Wrigglesworth John farmer & miller
CARRIERS. -- Mrs Caroline Garner and Jno. Andrews to Norwich, Wed. & Sat
In paragraph 1: "for [archdeaconry of] 'Norwich,' read 'Norfolk.'"
See also the Barnham Broom parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki Norfolk.
Copyright © Pat Newby.