Norfolk Military Records
Some resources are difficult to classify. See also
Norfolk Military History
- Muster Rolls
- "Tudor and Stuart Muster Rolls" compiled by Jeremy
Gibson and Alan Dell, 1st edition 1991 and published by the
Federation of Family History Societies.
- Norfolk Record Society Vol VI and VII
Musters of 1523, 1569, 1572, 1574 and 1577
The Musters Returns for Divers Hundreds in the County of Norfolk
transcribed by Farrow, Miss Margaret Arabella
[Norwich Record Society: Vols I,VI,VII (1931/5/6)]
- Militia Regiment and Musters.
- Details and locations are to be found in the book
"Militia Lists and Musters 1757-1876" compiled by
Jeremy Gibson and Mervyn Medlycott, 3rd edition 1994 and published
by the Federation of Family History Societies.
- "Records of the Militia & Volunteer Forces 1757-1945" by William Spencer
published by the Public Record Office.
- Militia Musters for Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire,
Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire for 1781-82 Volume 3 have been
published on CD by http://www.fhindexes.co.uk/militia.htm
- Chambers, Barbara
Indexes to Army of Reserve 1803,
Volume 3, Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk.
This lists the names of 2,225 men who were raised as volunteers
against Napoleon, indexed by surname, with forename, parish, county,
regiment and reference to the source in the PRO E182 series of
- Some census taken to show who was available to serve in 1803 survive.
- Aylsham shows people willing to serve as Guides, Pioneers, and those
with carts. Instructions on assembly points in case of invasion were also given
(includes names of all those allocated tasks).
- New Buckenham shows people willing to serve and 2 people in Norwich
Light Horse (includes names, ages and some family details).
- Great Yarmouth (Middle Ward) lists Infantry, Cavalry, Pioneers and
Sea Fencibles and other positions to be held in time of invasion
(includes names, ages and some family details).
- Norfolk Yeomanry (The King's Own Royal Regiment)
- Roll of Honour for Norfolk
- Roll of Honour for Breckland
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission and Debt of Honour Register
Search for details of members of Commonwealth forces who died
in the First or Second World Wars.
- WWI service records are at
The National Archives in the Discovery section.
- The WW1 Menin Gate Memorial in Belgium and
photographs of some of the inscriptions
Look for information about Norfolk Regiments.
- UK National Inventory of War Memorials. Some memorials can be
viewed and names searched at this site.
- Norfolk Museums and Archaeology Service allows a search for people.
- List of regiments and dates can be seen at the English County
Index of British Militia and Volunteers (see section on Norfolk).
- People, Places, Ships, Organisations and Events associated with the
Royal Navy since 1660 are available in the
Naval Biographical Database
- Maritime East Archive Museum at Great Yarmouth
contains some Naval records.
- Trafalgar Ancestors (at National Archives). Search for
Trafalgar and follow link. Search in database by name
or county of birth in "Advanced Search" page.
See also the page on Norfolk Military History
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki
Copyright © Mike Bristow.