YAXHAM, a village and parish on the Hingham road, 2 miles S.E. by S. of East Dereham, has 450 inhabitants and 1600 acres of land. Sir W.R. Clayton is lord of the manor, but the soil belongs to W. Collison and several other proprietors.
The CHURCH (St. Peter,) is a small neat edifice, with a round tower, five bells, and a remarkable font in the florid Gothic style. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, was consolidated with Welborne, and the united livings were valued at £722, in 1831; but they have recently been disunited. Yaxham rectory is worth about £500 per annum. The Rev. W.C. Johnson, M.A., is patron and incumbent.
The National School, built here in 1843, is attended by about 70 children.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1812, comprises 20A., on which the poor cut turf, &c., and let the herbage for about £5 per annum. The Town Lands comprise about 10A., mostly vested with feoffees at an early period for discharging the common burdens of the parish. They are let for £24 a year, which is applied in the service of the church, except £2. 2s., which is distributed among the poor parishioners, who have also the following yearly doles, viz., 26s. from Mowting's Charity; 6s., called Burr's Gift; and 3s. 4d., left by one Hardy, out of land called Wren Park.
Fowell Henry beer seller Gaskin Chas. carpenter & vict. "A" [sic] Horn Thomas shopkeeper Hudson Wm. blacksmith Isbill James & John carpenters Johnson Rev Wm. Cowper, M.A. Rectory Johnson Rev John Barham, M.A. rector of Welborne Spilman Charles National school Springall Robert Aldous corn miller Stimpson John butcher Tilney Reuben corn miller Wyett Ann vict. Woolpack FARMERS. Abbs Isaac Read Robert Coe Henry Stanley John Hubbard George Sussens Joseph Mann John Vincent Lacey Read James Williams John
Copyright © Pat Newby.