YAXHAM is a village, parish, and railway station, on the Wymondham and Dereham branch, distant 2 miles S. of East Dereham, in Mitford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, diocese of Norwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk, rural deanery of Hingham, and East Dereham county court district.
The church (St. Peter) is a small neat structure with nave, chancel, aisle and a tower containing five bells; some of the windows are filled with stained glass, and are in memory of different families. The living is a rectory value £50 per annum, with residence and near 40 acres of glebe land in the gift of the Rev. William Cowper Johnson, M.A., who is also the incumbent.
Here is a National school. The area of the parish is about 1,600 acres, belonging to several owners, the population in 1861 was 478.
POSTAL REGULATIONS: Mrs. Mary Meachen, receiver. Letters are received through East Dereham, arrive at 8 a.m., and are dispatched at 5 p.m. East Dereham is the nearest money-order office.
Howlett Mrs Sarah Breakfield green Johnson Rev William Cowper, M.A. rector, The Rectory Meachen Jonathan, Esq Millett Mrs The Elms GENERAL TRADES, etc. Aldous George carpenter Beatley John shoemaker and bird preserver Benns Francis station master Bunting Jas. The Woolpack, and butcher Crickmay Henry tailor CRITOPH WILLIAM miller, corn and flour merchant Cook George The Great A inn Fish William bricklayer Howlett Thomas corn merchant Howlett Sarah National schoolmistress Hudson William blacksmith Isbill Frank carpenter Isbill John carpenter Mallett William hawker Meachen Charles shopkeeper Meachen Timothy "Lord Nelson" Meachen Mrs Mary postmistress PHILLIPPO WILLIAM The Bush commercial inn, and farmer. Good beds, etc, opposite the Station; Allsop's ales, and London and Dublin stout. Stimpson John butcher Tilney Barnabas blacksmith Tuffs Richard shopkeeper
Copyright © Pat Newby.