[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WYMONDHAM, or WINDHAM, is an ancient market town, pleasantly situated on rising ground, upon the Norwich and Thetford turnpike, skirted on two sides by a rivulet, and distant 9 miles S.W. by W. of Norwich, 19 miles N.E. of Thetford, and 100 miles N.E. by N. of London. It consists chiefly of four streets, converging in the centre, and having many ancient houses, shops, &c., and some handsome modern mansions. The Norwich and Brandon Railway crosses the parish parallel with the turnpike, within about half a mile south of the town, where there is a commodious brick Station, erected in 1844-5.
Wymondham was once celebrated for the manufacture of wooden spindles, spoons, and other turnery ware; but this trade is obsolete, having given place many years ago to the weaving of bombasins, crapes, &c., in which employment here were, ten years ago, about 600 looms, but they have been reduced to about 60, which are partially employed by the Norwich manufacturers. In the town is an extensive brewery, belonging to Messrs. Cann and Clarke; and in the parish are several corn mills.
The MARKET, held every Friday, is but thinly attended. Corn is sold by sample at the Griffin Inn, in the evening. The Market-cross was built in 1616, and is covered by an octagon roof, supported at the eight angles by wooden pillars, and having a cornice, on which are rudely carved the various articles of turnery ware for which the town was once famous. The market and two of the fairs are held under a charter, granted by King John, in 1203. Here are now three annual FAIRS, viz., on Feb. 14th, and May 17th, for horses, lean cattle, &c., and on Sept. 29th, for pleasure, pedlery, &c. When any of these dates fall on a Saturday, the fair is held on the following Monday, so as not to interfere with Norwich market. A Hiring Session is held on the second day after Old Michaelmas Day.
The extensive PARISH of Wymondham increased its population from 3567 souls in 1801, to 5485, 1831, but they had decreased to 5179, in 1841. It comprises 10,484 acres of fertile and well cultivated land, extending from three to four miles round the town, and rising in picturesque undalations [sic] from both sides of a tributary stream of the river Yare.
It is in SIX DIVISIONS, of which the names and population are, Downham, 1286; Market street, 1324; Silfield, 592; Suton, 323; Town Green, 447; and Wattlefield, 500. MARKET STREET and TOWN GREEN comprise the greater part of the town, and are called the In-Soken, and the others the Out-Soken. DOWNHAM includes the north end of the town, many scattered farm-houses, &c., and Kimberley Hall, and part of the park, (see page 440 [which is the entry for Kimberley],) distant 3 miles north. SILFIELD extends nearly three miles to the south and east, and includes Stanfield Hall, a fine Elizabethan mansion, nearly encompassed by a moat, and formerly a seat of the Flowerdews, but now of Isaac Jermy, Esq. The Rev. George Preston, who died here in 1838, built a neat Catholic Chapel, adjoining the hall, but it is now converted into kitchen offices. SUTON division extends more than three miles south-west from the town, and includes Burfield Hall, the handsome seat of Miss A.D. Burroughes. WATTLEFIELD is about 3 miles south of the town, and has a neat Chapel of Ease, lately erected, (of red-brick and slated,) for the convenience of the inhabitants of the southern parts of the parish.
These divisions form twelve MANORS, whose names and owners are as follow:- Wymondham Reginæ, or Abbot's, the Queen; Grishaugh, Cromwell, and Rusteyn's, Rev. H.C. Hobart; Brockdish, C. Stoughton, Esq.; Gonville's, John Mitchell, Esq.; Choseleys, the Corporation of Norwich; Stanfield Hall, Isaac Jermy, Esq.; Downham Hall, Lord Wodehouse; Stalworthy's, with Burfield Hall and Nothes, Miss Ann D. Burroughes; and Palgraves, or Hethersett, the Rev. Wm. Lynes. The inhabitants enjoy all the privileges of ancient demesne, being exempt from serving on juries out of the parish, free from tolls at markets and fairs, &c., &c.
The town is supposed to be of Roman origin; and without the smallest traces to countenance such an opinion, some antiquaries have considered it the Sitamagus of the Itinerary. Its present name is purely Saxon, and the consequence of the place appears to have arisen from the ABBEY, founded here in 1130, by Wm. de Albini, afterwards Earl of Arundel, whose father had obtained, from the Norman Conqueror, all the manors in this parish, to be held by the service of the King's butler, except Stanfield Hall, which was for some time held by the Warrens and Bigods.
The abbey was richly endowed by the founder, as a cell to the Abbey of St. Alban's; but in 1448, it was constituted an independent abbey for monks of the Benedictine order. The founder gave it his manors of Wymondham, Happisburgh, &c., to which Henry I. added "all wrecks on that part of the coast lying between Eccles, Happisburgh, and Tunstead, and a rent in kind of 2000 eels annually, from the village of Hilgay." Its ample revenues were augmented by subsequent benefactions, and amounted to £211. 16s. 6d., per annum at the dissolution, when no crimes were laid to the charge of the Abbot, who, therefore, had an allowance for life of £66. 13s. 4d. a year; and the monks were found to be blameless, except four, who acknowledged themselves guilty of incontinency. Its possessions were conferred by Henry VIII. on the Earl of Surrey, who was attained and beheaded in 1547.
The Abbey Church was a large cruciform structure, erected partly on the site of the old parish church, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary and St. Thomas-a-Becket. It consisted of a choir, nave, transepts, and two aisles, with a tower standing in the centre, still called the abbey steeple, and another at the west end, built in 1410, by subscription, to receive the five bells of the parish; the west end of the edifice being then used by the parishioners, and the east end appropriated exclusively to the monks. When the monastery was destroyed, the parishioners obtained a grant of the church with its chapels and beautiful choir or chancel; but the latter and the south aisle were destroyed by Sergeant Flowerdew, who came to superintend the demolition of the abbey.
The inhabitants rebuilt the south aisle, and converted the east part of the nave into the chancel, so that the PARISH CHURCH consists of a spacious nave, with aisles, a large western tower, and another at the intersection of the nave with the transepts. The only remaining part of the choir is a fine Gothic arch, with a few fragments of the walls, all the other ruins, at the east end and south side of the church, being cleared away in 1834, when two bodies were found wrapped in lead, and supposed to be the remains of Lady Albini and her infant, who, with the founder of the abbey, and many other of the Albini and Clifton families, were interred in the choir.
The interior of the church is still of great extent, and presents to the antiquary and draughtsman much to admire and delineate. The semicircular arches are ornamented with zig-zag mouldings, and above them are full-length figures of angels, supporting the roof. The whole is neatly pewed, but has no galleries, except one at the west end, occupied by the organ, which cost £700, and was given by Mrs. Farmer, in 1793. The large font is ornamented with bold sculpture, and elevated on steps. The pulpit was newly erected in 1824, and removed from the south side to the centre of the nave in 1837. A handsome monument, on the south side of the altar, is supposed to cover the remains of the last abbot, and is in various styles of architecture.
The Bishop of Ely is appropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £10. 14s. 4d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. Daniel Jones, M.A. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for the yearly payments of £2169. 16s. 6d., to Thos. Baily, Esq., of Shrewsbury, the lessee of the appropriate rectory; and £772. 3s. 8d., to the vicar.
Here are six DISSENTING CHAPELS. The Wesleyans have one, which was built in 1825; and the Primitive Methodists have one at Silfield, built five years ago, and another in the Norwich road, erected in 1844. The Baptist Chapel, built many years ago, is under the ministry of the Rev. B. Burroughes. The Friends' Meeting House is a mile N.W. of the town, and was built in 1687. The first Quakers here met in an ancient chapel, or lazar-house, which stood upon a bridge over the Westwade rivulet, half a mile N.E. of the town, and was founded, by the founder of the Abbey, as a cell to the lazars of Burton.
The INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, now under the ministry of the Rev. James Rutherford, was built in 1652, and was vested by ROGER GAY, in 1715, with seven trustees, together with lands and tenements in Wilby and Wymondham, then of the yearly value of £36. 10s., of which he directed that £20 should be paid towards the support of the minister, and the remainder applied, as far as necessary, for the repairs of the chapel, and the residue divided among the poor of the congregation, or applied to such other uses as the trustees, minister, and congregation, should appoint. In 1745, the lands in Wilby were exchanged for a yearly rent-charge of £24 out of lands in Besthorpe, now belonging to the Earl of Albemarle. The premises in Wymondham now belonging to this trust, exclusive of the chapel, consist of a dwelling-house, two wheelwrights' shops, a barn, and 3A. 2R. 28P. of land, let at rents amounting to £22 per annum, which, with the £24 above-named, is carried to one account, with the rents of some cottages and houses, purchased for the use of the minister. In 1813, and subsequent years, considerable sums were expended in enlarging and altering the chapel, and in rebuilding and repairing the cottages: and a large Sunday School has lately been erected behind the chapel.
Here are several other Sunday Schools, a Free Grammar School, a large Charity School, and various Charities for the poor.
FREE GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND OTHER CHARITIES. - Edward VI. and Queen Elizabeth granted to certain trustees, for the support of a Free Grammar School, and for other charitable and pious uses, in Wymondham, various lands, tenements, &c., that had belonged to the dissolved Guilds of Corpus Christi, Saint Thomas-a-Becket, and St. Peter. The Chapel of St. Thomas-a-Becket was converted into a school-room, in the early part of the reign of Elizabeth. In 1672, Robert Dey left a house in Chapelgate street, for the residence of the master, his family, and boarders, and gave £40 to be laid out in land, the rents thereof to be applied in apprenticing poor boys to trades. In 1683, John Verdon sold to the trustees 4A. of land for this legacy. In 1670, Thomas Taylor bequeathed his messuages, &c. in Wymondham, for the use of the poor parishioners. Blyth Meadow, 4A. in Wattlefield, was held in trust for the poor of Suton and Damgate.
Under the act of Parliament passed in 46th Geo. III., for the enclosure of the parish, various charity lands were given in exchange for other lands, and the commissioners, by their award in 1810, set out to the trustees "divers parcels of land, without distinguishing in respect of which of the ancient charity lands such allotments were made." A petition, filed in the Court of Chancery, in 1822, states that these exchanges had so confounded the charity lands that the petitioners were unable to ascertain to what charitable purposes the income was applicable; that the income had greatly increased, and the salary of £20, up to that time allowed to the schoolmaster, was insufficient to procure a proper person to fill that office; that many of the old rules had become inconvenient, and that the master's dwelling-house was unfit for the purpose; - it was therefore prayed that the court would approve of a new scheme for the future management of the charities. In 1825, the old school-house, and two other dwellings, were given in exchange to Cornelius Tipple, for an acre of garden ground, &c., and a large and commodious house for the master's residence.
The following are the most important provisions of the new scheme, which was sanctioned by the Court of Chancery, in 1826: That there shall be 12 trustees and 15 governors; that such of the trustees as reside in Wymondham, and the Vicar, shall be governors, and shall elect others to make up the number 15; that the school and master's house shall be kept in repair out of the rents; that the master must be a clergyman of the church of England, and a graduate of Oxford or Cambridge; that he may be dismissed for misconduct or incapacity, by a majority of the governors; that he shall have a yearly salary of £60; that all such boys of the parish as the governors appoint shall be educated at the school, and instructed by the master and his assistants, in reading, writing, arithmetic, the learned languages, and other useful learning, without any fee or gratuity; no boy to be admitted under eight, or above thirteen years of age, nor continue after eighteen; that the rent of Dey's charity land (£7. 6s. 6d.,) and the yearly sum of £5, part of the rents of other lands, shall be applied in apprenticing one or more boys, and that the residue, after paying the schoolmaster's salary, £60, shall be applied by the governors is distributions of coals, clothing, or small sums of money among the poor parishioners.
In 1833, the charity estates comprised 88A. 0R. 29P. of land, and several warehouses, &c., let for £197. 13s. 2d. per annum, besides a double cottage, called The Lizard, now let for £8 a year; and there was in that year about £750 of unapplied income, which will perhaps all be exhausted by the law expenses of the suit in chancery, which commenced in 1822, and is not yet finally settled. The Rev. Jph. Grisdale, the present master, teaches about 12 free scholars. In 1567, Matthew Parker, Archbishop of Canterbury, founded a scholarship in Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, for a boy from this school, who must be a native of the town.
The four FUEL ALLOTMENTS, awarded at the enclosure, in 1810, comprise 53A. 0R. 18P., let for £86. 10s. a year, which is distributed in coals, money, &c., among the poor parishioners, together with the funds set apart for the same purpose from the rents of the charity estates noticed with the Grammar School.
HENDRY'S CHARITY. - In 1722, John Hendry left £400 to be laid out in the purchase of a freehold estate, for the sole benefit of the Vicar of Wymondham, for the time being, upon condition that he should preach, or cause to be preached two sermons every Sunday in the year. He also bequeathed certain lands and tenements in Crownthorpe and Wymondham, to the vicar for the time being, in trust, to apply the rents and profits thereof as follows;- 50s. yearly to be distributed amongst aged unmarried women; 10s. for yearly distribution among the poor of Crownthorpe; and the residue to be applied for the benefit of the Charity School, in Wymondham, for the instruction of poor children to read and write, and to bind them out to trades.
And he devised all his lands, called Flory's, in Wymondham, to Philip Carver and his heirs, upon condition that they should pay to the Vicar £3. 10s. yearly, for preaching a sermon every Friday in Lent. The £400 was laid out in the purchase of a house, and 25A. 2R. 16P., in Wicklewood, now let for £38. 5s. a year, which is received by the vicar. The estate devised for education, &c., was mostly exchanged at the enclosure, and now consists of 1A. 1R. 20P., in Crownthorpe, and 18A. 26P., in Wicklewood, let at rents amounting to £27 per annum, of which 50s. is divided amongst 25 "ancient maids," and the residue is applied towards the support of five CHARITY SCHOOLS, which are supported chiefly by the vicar and other subscribers, and afford instruction, on the National system, to about 300 children. These schools are in hired rooms, except the two largest, which occupy a commodious building, erected by the Rev. Wm. Papillon, who was vicar here from 1788 till a few years ago.
In 1692, ANN BLACKBORNE left, for the poor of Wymondham, £100, and to increase her charity, her executor, Francis le Neve, added as much as purchased a yearly rent-charge of £8. 2s, out of an estate in Suton, (now belonging to the Wade family,) to be paid to the Vicar, and disposed of in several distributions among the poor parishioners, by him and the owner of Burfield Hall.
The divisional County Prison, or BRIDEWELL, at Wymondham, was erected in 1787, on the plan recommended by the philanthropic Mr. Howard; but after the removal of the prisoners to the new gaol at Norwich, in 1827, it remained unoccupied till 1832, when it was re-opened, chiefly for the incarceration of females; and those sentenced to hard labour are employed in washing and sewing for the male prisoners at Norwich. The average number of prisoners, in 1842, was 19. Mrs. Macintyre is the matron; the Rev. D. Jones, chaplain; and Mr. R.J. Tunaley, surgeon.
The town is in Long Stratton Police Division. Two officers are stationed here, and there is a Lock-up, or "clink," in Church street. Petty Sessions are held at the King's Head Inn, on the third Tuesday of every month, as noticed on page 431 [which is the entry for Forehoe Hundred].
On Sunday morning, June 11, 1615, while the inhabitants were at church, the town was set on FIRE, by a party of "Egyptians," or gipsies, and upwards of 300 houses were consumed, valued, with their contents, at above £40,000. In 1631, the town was visited by the plague.
In 1400, Bishop Wakering placed it under a papal interdict, because the people did not ring the bells when he passed through the town. Richard Crashfield and Francis Knight were burnt here, for not conforming to the Roman Catholic faith, in the reign of Queen Mary.
Robt. and Wm. Kett, who headed the formidable insurrection in 1549, were natives of Wymondham. (Vide pages 61 and '2 [which is part of the History of Norwich].) Robert was hanged in chains on the castle at Norwich, and William upon the high steeple of Wymondham church.
This parish gave name to the distinguished FAMILY OF WINDHAM, which was ramified into several branches, resident at Felbrigg, Cromer, and Earsham, in this county, and at other places in Wiltshire, Somersetshire, and Glamorganshire. In 1204, Wm. de Wimundham, being skilled in chemistry and metallurgy, was appointed overseer of the lead mines in Devonshire, and extracted immense quantities of silver from the lead ore.
The POST-OFFICE is at Mr. Rd. Francis', Market street. The Mail departs to London, &c., at 6 evening, and to Norwich and Yarmouth, at 8 morning.
In the following DIRECTORY OF WYMONDHAM PARISH, those marked 1, reside in Back street; 2, Bridewell street; 3, Church street; 4, Cock street; 5, Damgate street; 6, Downham; 7, Fairland street; 8, Market place; 9, Market street; 10, Norwich road; 11, Silfield; 12, Suton; 13, Town green; 14, Vicar street; and 15, in Wattlefield.
1 Beeston Mr John 5 Betts John 13 & Thos. carriers 12 Bradfield Fisher tea dealer 7 Bunn Wm. fireman 12 Burroughes Miss Ann Diana Burfield Hall 1 Cann John Stephenson solicitor, and clerk to magistrates, commissioner of taxes, &c. 6 Cann Sml. & Thos. gents [see note below] 6 Cann Mrs M. [see note below] 12 Cann Wm. Robert, Esq. brewer, spirit merchant, &c; h Cavick 10 Cannell Mr Aquilla 14 Clarke Edward Palmer solicitor 14 Clarke Caudell solicitor's clerk 8 Clarke Wm. Robert brewer, &c. 9 Clarke Wm. earthenware dealer 4 Cullyer Mrs Joanna 13 Daniel Wm. gentleman 5 Fickling Robt. carrier to Norwich 3 Forster Rt. bookbinder & par. clerk 8 Futter Wm. police [see note below] 2 Glasspoole Wm. & Standley Jno. auctioneers, general agents, &c 14 Graver Misses Cath. and Ann 12 Harman Mr Leonard 7 Hubbard Thos. veterinary surgeon 13 Grisdale Rev Joseph curate of Wattlefield, and master of Grammar School Jermy Isaac, Esq. barrister, & recorder of Norwich, Stanfield Hall Jermy J.J. Esq 14 Jones Rev Daniel, M.A. vicar 14 Jones Rev David curate 13 Judd Mr John 13 Kerry John relieving officer 6 Knapman Lieutenant John R.N. 2 Macintyre Mrs J. matron, Bridewell 6 Mays Thomas veterinary surgeon 7 Matthews John cattle dealer 8 Matthews Thomas cattle dealer 5 Mendham Hy. dyer & musician 15 Mitchell John solicitor 12 Mitchell Samuel gentleman 3 Nash John Allen collector of rates Neave Jas. gent. Downham Grove 5 Piggins James clothes dealer 8 Pont Geo. police [see note below] 3 Reeve Mr Benj. 5 Reynolds Zach. 12 Rush Jas. Blomfield land agent 7 Rutherford Rev Jas. (Indpt. min.) 2 Secker Ellen & Wm. basket mkrs 8 Semmence Rt. L. dish turner, &c 8 Sheppard Mrs Elizabeth 5 Shildrake Mr John 11 Skoulding Frederick, Esquire 2 Standley John auctioneer, &c 13 Stone Mrs 6 Tillott John gent Tipple Wm. Howes gent. Dyke Beck Tipple Mr Jasper H. [see note below] Tipple Geo. constable [see note below] Watson Mrs H. White Mr James Coe Wodehouse Lord Kimberley Hall INNS AND TAVERNS. 6 Plowman Samuel Bell Inn 14 High Wm. Coach and Horses 4 Watson Samuel Cock 8 Semmence Rt. Cross Keys (turner) 9 Cross Mary Dog and Duck 13 Burcham John Dove 5 Cranness Wm. Duke's Head 11 Pert John Dun Cow 13 Hubbard Wm. Feathers 8 Huggins Rt. George (cattle dlr) 3 Semmence Robert Goat 3 Clarke Caudell Green Dragon 9 Foulsham Richard Griffin Inn 8 Rackham Thomas, junior King's Head Inn 12 Barker Thos. King of Prussia 13 Nelson Horatio Leather Bottle 11 Bunn Austin Mariners 8 Lovick Robert Queen's Arms 2 Rackham Ths., sen Queen's Head 5 Smith Wm. Rising Sun 5 Sant Jonathan Rose and Crown 11 Wright Hy. Rule and Compass 12 Kett Wm. Sawyers 12 Ringer Sarah Ann Three Boars 5 Cross John Brewster Two Brewers 9 Rush Jas. White Hart (O.F. Lodge) 12 Fuller David White Horse 14 Crosby Wm. White Swan 10 Neale Robert Windmill 7 Hubbard Robert Woolpack ACADEMIES. * Charity Schls. 2 Barnard Walter 14 Kemp Mary A. 11 Callow Joanna 8*Kett Susan 3 Cooper Jane 3*Mears Francis Doyley 6 Cooper John 12*Nobbs Eliz. 8*Cross Eliz. 3 Tipple Mary 5 Field Eliz. 9 White Emma Grisdale Rev Jph. 7 Wright Keziah Grammar Schl ATTORNEYS. 8 Cann John S. 13 Daniel Wm. 14 Mitchell and Clarke BAKERS. BEER HOUSES. 13 Buttolph Wm. Goldsmith Adams Samuel Cattermole Wm. 12 Brewster Sar. 5 Harvey Robert Parsons 4 Cann Samuel 8 Harvey Wm. P. 5 Garrod Joseph 5 Long Robert 11 Gill James 13 Rudling John 10 Gudrum Chas. 7 Self Eliz. 12 Harrison Thos. 9 Smith Eliz. 5 Harvey Wm. 5 Stone Sarah 12 Maddis Wm. 13 Tipple Sarah 1 Oldfield Robert 7 Trixon Hannah 6 Turrell Wm. BOOKSELLER, BLACKSMITHS. Printer, &c. 12 Ayton Charles 9 White Mary 12 Barnard Rd. 6 Cowell John 12 Cavell Wm. 3 Dannock Robt. 13 Kemp Richard Kemp John 4 Reeve John Boot & Shoe Mkrs. 8 Barnard John 6 Fox John 7 Bunn John 12 Hubbard John 5 Butcher James 12 Lee Wm. 6 Cann Thomas 2 Long Robert 9 Clarke Wm. 7 Rudderham Rt. 12 Clarke W.N. 4 Skipper John 9 Cowell Henry 5 Smith Jobson 12 Cowell Thos. 12 Smith James 12 Cushing James 13 Watson Henry 7 Daniel James 3 Weston Edw. 5 Dye Robert 13 Wick Wm. 12 Forkes John Brewers, Maltsters, and Wine & Spirit Merts. 8 Cann & Clarke Bricklayers. Brick Maker. 12 Robins Wm Isc 6 Cann Thos. Fdk. 10 Thurston Wm. 13 Woodbine Rt. BUTCHERS. 13 Bale Wm. 5 Cross John B. 5 Bevator Wm. 9 Davey Maria 13 Burcham John 13 Denny John 8 Burt Eliz. 6 Plowman Saml. 9 Cross Mary 13 Sparkhall Jno. 5 Cross John Chemists, & Drgts Corn Millers. 8 Fison James 12 Bolton Esau 8 Skoulding Wm. 13 Cann John 11 Chambers Jno. COOPERS. 6 Jermyn Wm., Browick 5 Bunn John 13 Harvey Jesse CURRIERS. Corn, &c Dealers. (* Cutters only.) 3 Cross Sarah 12 Ayton James 2 Glasspoole Wm 8 Barnard John 2 Standley John 13*Foulsham Sl. 5 Taylor Thomas 9 Shalders Wm. 13 Smith Page 2*Watson John FARMERS. 6 Alpe Edward 7 Leatherdale Ts. 12 Bailey John 12 Leatherdale J. 11 Banham Rt. 12 Long James 15 Balls John 15 Long Robert 6 Barker Wm. 11 Long David 12 Barnard Brdgt. 11 Mace Joseph 11 Barnard Jas. 11 Mace Daniel 6 Barnard Robt. 6 Mays Thomas 6 Bretten Robert 7 Matthews John 6 Browne Charles Matthews Robt. 11 Bunn Anthy. 11 Miller John 12 Burrell Ann Neave James, 6 Burrell Wm. Downham Grv 11 Buttolph Wm. 6 Postle Sml. Tolver, 6 Cann Thos. Fdk. Browick 12 Cann Wm. 15 Potter Thos. 6 Cann Samuel 11 Press Edward 12 Carpenter Jph. 11 Race Wm. 12 Colman Wm H. 6 Race Miller 6 Cook Robert 12 Reynolds Jthn. 11 Cooper James 15 Rix Robert 12 Daniel James 11 Rolfe James 6 Ellis Wm. 12 Rush Jas. B. 12 Gray George 15 Simmons Wm. 15 Hardy Wm. 15 Smith Robert 15 Hall John 11 Smith Robert 6 Hart G. (exors.) 13 Sparkhall Jno. 15 Howes James 11 Stanfield Stn. 2 Humphreys Jas. 12 Stanforth Saul 11 Jermyn Wm. 3 Standley John 15 Kemp Henry 8 Taylor Wm. 6 King John Batson, 11 Thurston Jthn. Northfld 12 Wade Mary 11 Lain Bartin [sic] 12 Weston Gdfry. 11 Lain Edward 6 Wright Murrell 15 Leeder James 6 Youngman John Turner Gardeners, &c. GROCERS And Drapers. 8 Lovick Robert 9 Adshead Joseph (tea dlr) 5 Sant Jonathan 8 Johnson George Godwin 5 Smith Wm. 9 Morris Noah 8 Parker Jas. & Sons Glovers, &c. 14 Tipple Sarah 9 Turner David 5 Gooch John 7 Woods Henry 9 Traxon Esau 9 Wright Cath. GUNSMITHS. Horse Letters. 2 Parsley Robt. 7 Davy Wm. 7 Rudderham Ed. 5 Fickling Robt. 8 Rackham Thos. Hair Dressers. Ironmongers, &c. 9 Nobbs James 9 Dannock Wm. 5 Seeley John Hy. 8 Francis Richd. 9 Skipper James 8 Reynolds Noah 9 Smith Eliz. JOINERS, &c. 2 Camp Wm. 5 Harvey Wm. 2 Canham Chas. 2 Kemp Wm. 9 Clarke Wm. 5 Kett Jacob 7 Colman James 12 Kett Wm. 5 Cranness Jas., (well 13 Poll John Cooper sinker) 13 Whitaker Rd. Milliners, &c. 8 Bale Charlotte 13 Leatherdale A. 3 High Mrs (stays) 9 Nobbs Maria 9 Hubbard Ann 8 Rudling Mary 5 Ives Julia 12 Sparkhall R. 2 Standley Mary Plumbers, Glzrs., & Painters. SADDLERS. 5 Bowgen Philip 7 Holman Thos. 9 Cook Charles 9 Mason Benj 8 Cooper Chas. 9 Wright Robert 2 Halls Robert SHOPKEEPERS. 5 Barker Wm. 13 Poll John Cooper 13 Culpitt Wm. 5 Smith John 5 Fromow John 2 Standley Jas. 6 Lee Ann 9 Taylor Mary 12 Neave Jonthn. 13 Willimott Jas. SURGEONS. 14 Colman Thos. Edw. Tawell 8 Lewis Lewis [sic] 8 Skoulding John 8 Tunaley Rt. Js. (& registrar) TAILORS. (* Drapers also.) 13 Cabon Cphr. 13 Riches Watson 13 Clarke Samuel 12 Self John 7*Cowell James 5 Shildrake John 5 Culpitt John 3*Standley Wm. 9*Davey John 3 Traxon Esau 7*Davey Wm. 5 Wright Thos. 9*Parker James Watchmakers. Wheelwrights. 8 Francis Richd. 13 Cann Samuel 9 Perfitt Ephraim 7 Saunders Wm. Joseph 2 Standley Jas. 2 Standley Wm. 12 Standley Wm.
MAIL, to London, 6 evg., and to Norwich 8 mrng. COACHES and CARRIERS, to Norwich, &c. pass daily; but after the Norwich and Brandon Railway is opened, in the summer of 1845, many of the present conveyances will give place to the Railway Trains, which will leave Wymondham Station several times a day, for London, Norwich, &c.
Note: in the original these are:
6 Cann Sml. & Thos. gents; & Mrs M.
8 Pont Geo. & Futter Wm. police
Tipple Mr Jasper H. || Geo. constable
See also the Wymondham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.