WEST WRETHAM is a parish 2 miles west from Wretham station on the Bury, Thetford and Swaffham section of the Great Eastern railway and 6 north-east from Thetford, in the Mid division of the county, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Thetford union and county court district, Shropham hundred, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich.
The ancient church of St. Lawrence is now in ruins. The living is consolidated with that of East Wretham.
Wretham Hall, an elegant mansion standing in a well-wooded park of 600 acres, is the seat of Sydney Morris J.P. who is lord of the manor and sole landowner. Hill Mere and Mickle Mere are both in Wretham Park.
The soil is sandy; subsoil, chalky. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 3,616 acres of land and 72 of water; rateable value, £947; the population in 1891 was 194.
Foulmere, 2½ miles south-west from Wretham station, is in this parish.
Letters from Thetford. East Wretham is the nearest money order & telegraph office
The children of this parish attend the school at East Wretham
Godson John S. West Wretham house Morris Sydney J.P. Wretham hall COMMERCIAL Henley Wm. head gardenr. Wretham hall Banks Jonathan gamekeeper to Sydney Morris esq George George farm bailiff to Sydney Morris esq. The Dairy Godson John S. estate agent to Sydney Morris esq. West Wretham house Stevenson Robert farmer, Foulmere
Copyright © Pat Newby.