WRETHAM, (EAST and WEST,) about 6 miles N.N.E. of Thetford, are two adjoining parishes.
East Wretham has 194 souls, 2572 acres, a small village of its own name, and another called Stone Bridge, in a rivulet, nearly a mile E. of the church.
West Wretham has 103 souls, 3121 acres, a few scattered houses, and Wretham Hall, a neat mansion in [a] pleasant park, about a mile N.W. of the church. This mansion is the seat of Wyrley Birch, Esq., owner of both parishes, lord of the manor, and patron of the consolidated rectories, valued in 1831, at £550, and in the King's Books, one at £11. 12s. 3½d., and the other at £12. 11s. 3d. The Rev. F.L. Birch, M.A., is the incumbent.
East Wretham Church (St. Ethelbert,) is a small neat edifice; but that at West Wretham (St. Lawrence,) has been long in ruins. A new Rectory House has recently been erected, and the tithes were commuted in 1839 for £539 per annum.
DIRECTORY, (marked * are at Stone Bridge:)
* Abbott Mary shopkeeper Abbott Mrs. Sus. Birch Rev. Frederick Lane, M.A. Rectory * Chilvers Robert vict., Dog and Partridge Gayford Samuel Kitton farmer * Ovington Henry corn millerThose in West Wretham are,
Abbott Edward land agent and farmer, Thorpe Hall Birch Wyrley, Esq. Hall Birch George Wyrley, Esq. Forest Lodge Palmer Lucy and Sons farmers, Foulmere
Copyright © Pat Newby.