Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: East Wretham

Kelly's Directory of Norfolk 1896

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

EAST WRETHAM is a parish with a station 1 mile from the church, on the Bury, Thetford and Swaffham section of the Great Eastern railway, 6 miles north from Thetford, in the Mid division of the county, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Thetford union and county court district, Shropham hundred, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich.

The church of St. Ethelbert, entirely rebuilt in the year 1865, is an edifice of flint in the Norman and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a western tower with saddleback roof containing one bell: the south doorway is Norman and the east end of the chancel is adorned with mural paintings: the stone font has a lofty canopy of oak, carved and decorated: there are 230 sittings: in the churchyard stands a sculptured cross of Aberdeen granite, erected as a memorial to members of the Birch family. The register dates from the year 1748.

The living consists of the consolidated rectories of East and West Wretham, average tithe rent-charge £398, net yearly value £358, with 16 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Sydney Morris esq. J.P. and held since 1893 by the Rev. Herbert Seddon Rowley M.A. of Queen's College, Oxford.

Sydney Morris esq. J.P. of West Wretham Hall, is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chalky. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,761 acres of land and 39 of water; rateable value, £1,109; the population in 1891 was 190.

Sexton, James Bunn.

Stone Bridge is a hamlet, a mile east of the church and 6 miles north-east from Thetford.

Post, M.O. & T.O., T.M.O., Express Delivery, S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. - Misses Emma & Anne Tillott, sub-postmistresses. Letters arrive through Thetford at 7.40 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. week days only

Wall Letter Box, near the Manor house, cleared at 5 p.m. week days only

School (mixed), built in 1865, & enlarged in 1893, for 75 children; average attendance, 62; Edward Ambrose Mitchley, master

Wretham & Hockham Railway Station, Walter Henry Overy, station master

	Daynes   Edward                    farm bailiff to Sydney Morris esq.
	                                     Manor farm
	Rowley   Rev. Herbt. Seddon, M.A.  Rectory
	Tillott  Charles William           Dog & Partridge P.H. & coal dealer
	Tillott  Emma & Anne (Misses)      drapers & grocers, Post office
	Wiggett  William                   cowkeeper

See also the East Wretham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
September 2007