Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome

Norfolk: Wormegay

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

WORMEGAY, or Wermigey, is a small scattered village, 6 miles S.S.E. of Lynn, lying on the south side of the navigable river Nar. Its parish extends to Setch Bridge, and is in Downham union and county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen polling district of West Norfolk, Clackclose hundred and petty sessional division, Fincham rural deanery, and archdeaconry of Norfolk. It had 472 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2785 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £3398 5s.

Henry James Lee-Warner, Esq., is the principal owner of the soil and lord of the manor; but Mrs. Cartwright, R. Henry Household, J.P., William Boon, J.J. Coulton, Esqs., and Mrs. C. Thompson have estates in the parish, and Captain Bulwer is impropriator of the tithes.

This lordship was anciently held by the Warennes, Ferrars, and Bardolphs, the latter of whom had a castle here, of which the moat still remains. In 1405 Thomas, Lord Bardoff, Baron of Wyrmygey, Westbrage, Tottenhill, &c., in Norfolk, fled into Scotland with the then Earl of Northumberland, and the King reduced all the castles and fortresses of these noblemen. In 1407 they re-entered England, but were defeated by Sir Thomas Rokesby, Sheriff of Yorkshire, at Bramham Moor, when both Northumberland and Bardoff were slain. Then, on the attainder Lord of Bardoff (May 8, 1408), the lordship or barony of Wyrmygey (otherwise spelt Wyrmyngey, Wirmegay, Wringay, and Rungay) was granted with all its knight's fees to Thomas Beaufort, Erle [sic] of Dorset, the king's brother, afterwards Duke of Exeter, who died without issue in the 5th of King Henry VI. (1418), when it returned to the descendants (female) of Lord Bardoff.

The Warrens founded a priory near the village, in the reign of King John, for Austin canons; but a farmhouse now occupies the site, which was granted at the Dissolution to the Bishop of Norwich, together with the advowson of the perpetual curacy, which was certified at £20, and augmented with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty in 1779 and 1800. It was further augmented in 1876 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; it is now valued at £300, is consolidated with the perpetual curacy of Tottenhill, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. William Henry Henslowe, M.A.

The CHURCH (St. Michael) is a small edifice, comprising nave, chancel, and square tower with one bell. It was repaired and reseated in 1848. The Register dates from 1561.

The National School, built in 1839, was enlarged by the addition of a class-room in 1879, at a cost of £70. It is supported by voluntary subscriptions, Government grants, and school pence, and is attended by 150 children.

Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1862; it will seat 250 people.

The Fuel Allotments, awarded at the enclosure in 1811, comprise 21A. 3R. 23P., vested in the lord of the manor, churchwardens, and overseers, is let for £30 a year, and is distributed in coal at Christmas. The poor have £2 a year, paid by the lord of the manor, as interest of money left by R. Maltby, G. Brown, and other donors.

In the village is the remains of the ancient village cross, which was repaired several years ago by Mr. W.G. Hoff.

WALL LETTER-BOX cleared at 3.20 p.m. week days and 10.30 a.m. Sundays, viâ Lynn, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office. The nearest Railway Station is Magdalen Road.

	Bennett    John            pig dealer
	Bussens    John William    relieving officer and registrar of
	                             births and deaths
	Drew       Jas.            blacksmith; h Middleton
	Fish       William         victualler, Red Lion
	Gamble     John            victualler, Crown; and carpenter
	                             and assistant overseer
	Gore       William         farmer
	Hawkins    Thos.           brewer, Setch bridge
	Hearn      Edward          beer retailer and market gardener
	Henslowe   Rev. William
	             Henry, M.A.   incumbent
	Hoff       Henry           farmer
	Hoff       William Gilson  farmer
	Hogge &                    ale and porter brewers and spirit
	  Seppings                   merchants, Setch bridge Brewery
	Lockwood   Mrs.            grocer, draper, & beer retailer
	Neal       Hammond         bootmaker
	Nurse      Davis           farmer
	Nurse      Robert          farmer
	Seppings   Jas.            (Hogge & S.) The Grange
	Short      Thomas          shopkeeper and road surveyor
	Smith      Thomas          fish dealer
	Thurston   James           fish dealer
	Tranter    Charles Dryland cashier, Setch bridge
	Warden     Miss Eliza      schoolmistress
	Watkins    William         grocer and butcher
	Youngs     John            farm bailiff
CARRIER - Samuel Page to Lynn on Tuesdays


See also the Wormegay parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki Norfolk.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
March 2006