Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: North Wootton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

WOOTTON (NORTH) is a small pleasant village, overlooking the Wash, 3½ miles N. of Lynn, on the Lynn and Hunstanton Railway. Its parish is in Freebridge Lynn union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Lynn county court and bankruptcy court district, Lynn polling district of West Norfolk, Lynn (Norfolk) rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 324 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 4968 acres: the rateable value is £3661.

Of the parish 150 acres are rich salt marsh, 280 acres heath, and 40 acres woodlands. During the last twenty years land has been reclaimed from the sea near the estuary. The trustees of the late Hon. Greville T. Howard own the manor, and are patrons of the living, this and the other Wootton [ie South Wootton] being in the peculiar jurisdisction of the borough of Castle-Rising.

The CHURCH (All Saints) was rebuilt in the Early English style in 1853, at the sole expense of the late Hon. Mrs. Howard, and comprises nave, south porch, chancel, vestry, and tower containing one bell. It is furnished with neat open benches, and the chancel is paved with encaustic tiles. The tower arch is open to the nave, and there is a good western doorway. The east window of three lights has been filled with stained glass, in memory of the late Hon. Mrs. Howard, by subscriptions.

The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £10, and now at £200, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Edward Suckling, B.A.

The NATIONAL SCHOOL is endowed with £20 a year out of the rectorial tithes, from which the poor have also a distribution of £10 yearly: it is now attended by about sixty children.

Several cottages have small allotments of land and the privilege of grazing cattle on the commons.

POST from Lynn. Here is a Wall Letter-Box cleared at 6.5 p.m., week days only, viâ Lynn, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

	Blake      John                blacksmith; h Wootton gate, Gaywood
	Brown      Austin              parish clerk
	Buxton     Robert              farmer
	Drew       William             bootmaker
	Fulcher    Mrs Mary
	Gagen      Henry               farmer, Estuary farm
	Gay        Mr Richard
	Gay        Thomas William      farmer
	Godman     Miss Malvina        schoolmistress
	Merrican   Joseph              cowkeeper
	Nailor     George              victualler, Red Cat
	Paige      Edward              stationmaster
	Pelling    John                bootmaker
	Pentney    Peter               market gardener
	Rolfe      Mrs Sarah           shopkeeper
	Royston    Richard             farmer, Manor farm
	Suckling   Rev. Hy. Edwd. B.A. rector
	Towler     Henry               beerhouse & farmer
	Webster    Mr William

See also the North Wootton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 2007