WOODTON, 10 miles S. by E. of Norwich, and 5 miles N.W. by N. of Bungay, is a parish in Loddon and Clavering union and petty sessional division, Beccles county court district, Yarmouth bankruptcy court district, Loddon hundred and polling district of South Norfolk, East Brooke rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 477 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 2125 acres; the rateable value is £3444.
The soil belongs to several proprietors, the chief of whom are Robert Fellows, G.S. Howman, and C.W. Unthank, Esqs. The Hall, which was long a seat of the Suckling family, was pulled down in 1839.
The CHURCH (All Saints) is chiefly in the early Decorated style, and comprises nave, chancel, south aisle, north porch, and tower. The last contains six bells, and is round at the base and octagonal above. Formerly here was a curious alms-box on which was the date 1691. In the chancel is a piscina, and also a monument with a kneeling marble effigy of Anne, wife of Robert Suckling, Esq., who died in 1653. Here are also several tablets of the Suckling, Bone, and Yelloly families. The church was restored in 1877, at a cost of £900.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., is in the gift of King's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Frederick Edward Long, M.A., who has a good residence, built in 1832. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £621 per annum, and the glebe is 24 acres.
Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1836.
A SCHOOL BOARD was established in 1876, and consists of the Rev. F.E. Long, M.A. (chairman), Messrs. A.M. Callender (vice-chairman), R. Fellowes, of Shotesham, Charles Warmoll, and William Tidman. The BOARD SCHOOL was built in 1876, at a cost of £1000, to accommodate 100 children.
The following charities are now vested with the Charity Commissioners:- The town lands, which have been vested from an early period for the repairs of the church, &c., consist of 10A. 1R. 29P. in Brooke, let for £13; and 26A. 3R. 8P. in Woodton, let for £13. The latter was received in exchange at the enclosure in 1814. In 1705 Henry Moyse left for the relief of the poor at Woodton a house, barn, stable, and 20 acres of land at Ellingham, now let for £45 a year, which is distributed in bread and coal at the church. The poor have also two yearly rent-charges, viz.: 6s. left by Nicholas Wilton in 1665; and 10s. left by one Bardwell, out of land at Geldeston.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Joseph Catchpole's. Letters, viâ Bungay, arrive at 10.30 a.m., and are despatched at 3.30 p.m.
Alborough Mrs Baker Miss Sarah Board schlmistress Baldwin Chas. bricklayer & farmer Bunn Mrs Mary farmer and owner Button John shopkeeper & pork btchr Callendar Alexander Mackson farmer, The Lodge Catchpole Jph. shopkpr. & postmaster Dingles - gamekeeper Dickerson Frederick Wm. vict. Tumbledown Dick Inn, and thatcher Everett George farm steward Everett Robt. Last miller & shopkpr Gooch Henry blacksmith, parish clerk, and shopkeeper Long Rev. Frederick Edward, M.A. rector, The Rectory Millett John thatcher Sanderson John farm steward Smith Mrs Hannah shopkeeper Tibb George Harvey saddler Tidman Wm. blacksmith & whlwright Todd Thomas shoemaker Vincent David vict. King's Head Warmoll Chas. farmer and surveyor Webb Alfred woodman Whiting Lewis shoemaker
Copyright © Pat Newby.