[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
WOODTON, a pleasant village, 10 miles S. by E. of Norwich, and 5 miles N.W. by N. of Bungay, has in its parish 567 souls, and 2,112 acres of fertile land, belonging to several proprietors, -- the largest of whom are Rt. Fellowes, and John Winn Gooch, Esqrs. The latter has a pleasant seat here, called Woodton Place ; but the Hall, which was long a seat of the Suckling family, was pulled down a few years ago.
The CHURCH (All Saints,) is a neat structure, and among its monuments is the marble effigy of Anne, wife of Robt. Suckling, Esq., who died in 1653.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £6 13s. 4d., is in the gift of the Rev. S. M. Suckling, and the incumbency of the Rev. Richd. Waldegrave Packer, M.A. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £615 per annum, and the glebe is 26A.
The Town Lands, which have been vested from an early period, for the repairs of the church, &c., consist of 10A. 1R. 29P., in Brooke, let for £12; and 26A. 3R. 8P., in Woodton, let for £20. The latter was received in exchange at the enclosure in 1814.
Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1836. In 1705, Henry Moyse left, for the relief of the poor of Woodton, a house, barn, stable, and 20A. of land, at Ellingham, now let for £30 a year, which is distributed in bread and money at the church. The poor have also two yearly rent-charges, viz:-- 6s. left by Nicholas Wilton, in 1665; and 10s. left by one Bardwell, out of land at Geldeston.
Alburgh John butcher Balding Jas. bricklayer Cole James beer seller Gooch James blacksmith Gooch J. W., Esq. Woodton Place Harvey Jas. saddler Leeder Robert, jun. corn miller Lynes John shoemaker Millett Ham. wheelwright Packer Rev.R.W., M.A. Rectory Roe Robt. gent. Smith Isaac schoolmaster Smith John shopkeeper Yallop Wm. shopkeeper
Cunningham John Everett Arthur Franklin Wm. Goose Cornls. Leeder Robt. Pierson Robt. Roe Robt. Thompson John Warmoll John
CARRIERS pass daily to Norwich, Bungay, &c.
See also the Woodton parish page.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.