Norfolk: Witton (near Blofield)
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
WITTON is a small parish and scattered village, 5½ miles E. of
Norwich, containing only 162 inhabitants, and 576 acres of rich loamy
land. Chas. Whaites, Esq., is the principal owner and lord of the manor,
which, in the seventh of Richard II., was given by Margaret, Countess of
Norfolk, to the nuns minoresses of Bruisyard, in Suffolk, to pray for the
soul of her daughter, Ann, late Countess of Pembroke, and for her own
state whilst living, and her soul when deceased.
The CHURCH (St. Margaret,) is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at
£6. 13s. 4d., and consolidated with that of Little Plumstead, where
the Rev. Charles Penrice, M.A., the patron and incumbent, resides. The
glebe here is 42 acres.
Culley Robert farmer and maltster
Culley Geo. B. farmer
Penrice Mrs. Witton House
Whaites Chas. Esq. Witton Hall
Ward Joseph miller
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
See also the Witton (near Blofield) parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.