LITTLE WITCHINGHAM is a parish 2½ miles south-east from Reepham station on the East Norfolk section of the London and North Eastern railway, 1½ north-by-east from Lenwade station on the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, 7½ south-west from Aylsham, and 10 north-west from Norwich, in the Eastern division of the county, Eynsford hundred and petty sessional division, St. Faith's rural district, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich.
The church of St. Faith is a plain building of flint and stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and an embattled western tower containing one bell: there are 50 sittings. The register dates from the year 1565.
The living is a rectory, consolidated with the vicarage of Great Witchingham, joint net yearly value £463, including 25 acres of glebe, in the gift of New College, Oxford, and held since 1925 by the Rev. Leonard Gethen M.A. of University College, Durham, and hon. C.F. [sic] who resides at Great Witchingham.
Robert Arthurton esq. William James Barry esq. J.P. and the trustees of Norman's Charity School, Norwich, are the landowners. Mr. Harold Jones holds the farm belonging to Norman's charity. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 743 acres; the population in 1921 was 64.
Letters received through Norwich. The nearest M.O. & T. office is at Great Witchingham.
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
* Arthurton Rt. farmer & landowner, Little Witchingham hall. T N Reepham 32 Dix Thomas gamekeeper to W.J. Barry esq. J.P. * Jones Harold farmer, Charity farm
Copyright © Pat Newby.