Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Winterton

White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1836

[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]

WINTERTON is an ancient fishing village, lying in a bay, 8 miles N. by W. of Yarmouth, and sheltered on the north-east by that bold promontory called Winterton Ness, and well known to the mariner as the most fatal headland between Scotland and London(see page 151.). The parish had 631 inhabitants, and about 1260 acres of land; of which Joseph Hume, Esq., M.P., and Lord Winterton are the principal owners. The latter is lord of the manor, and the former patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's Books at £20.13s.4d., and has annexed to it the curacy of East Somerton. The Rev. J. Nelson, B.A., is the incumbent. The Church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity and All Saints, has a fine embattled tower, 120 feet high, overlooking the highest parts of the Ness, and commanding an extensive view of the ocean.

The Light House, which stands on a lofty summit, on the south-east side of the village, is an hexagonal tower, nearly 70 feet high, and now illuminated with patent lamps and reflectors. It is the property of Lord Braybrook, and was granted, in 1687, to Sir Edward Turnour, with "1d. per ton for every vessel sailing by." There were formerly two lights on the Ness, but they were removed about 5 years ago. A coastguard, with a number of beach men and a two pilots, are stationed here.

Winterton gives the title of Earl to the Turnour family, and had formerly a market, fair, and races. In 1665, by the sea encroaching on the cliffs, several large bones were found, and one of them, weighing 57 pounds, and measuring 3 feet 2 inches, was pronounced by the faculty to be the leg-bone of a man ! On December 27th, a high tide caused such alarming sea-breaches at Winterton, Horsey, and Waxham, as to threaten destruction to all the level of marshes from thence to Yarmouth, Beccles, &c. - Mr. Hume supports a school here for 30 children, and has a wild-fowl decoy, covering about 30 acres.


     Amis      Henry & John      mariners
     Bond      Mr. Henry
     Brown     Jph. Rt. & Thos.  mariners
     Cock      Wm.               gardener
     Goffin    Wm.               shoemaker
     Higson    Rd.               schoolr. & par. clerk
     Juby      John              beer house
     King      Ann               shopkeeper
     Learner   Samuel            bricklayer
     Leech     Mr Edw.
     Leigh     Lieut. Thos. R.N. officer of coast guard
     Nelson    Rev John, B.A.    Rectory
     Palmer    Edmund            corn miller
     Popay     Charles           tailor & overseer
     Rogers    Lawr.             vict. Three Mariners
     Skelton   Geo.              decoy man
     Slater    John              shopkeeper
     Smith     James             shoemaker
     Smith     Wm.               light house keeper
     Stead     Thos.             bricklayer
     Thornhill Thos. Esq.        Hill Cottage
     Tubby     John              shoemaker

  FARMERS.
Diball  Christmas       Juby    Joseph
Flaxman Wm              King    Abel
Green   Ann             Page    Joseph
Grimmer Benj.           Shales  Samuel
Hodds   Hy. jun.        Womack  Wm.
                        Wright  John

CARRIERS - Thos Dyball and Hy. Hodds, to Yarmouth, Wed. and Sat.

See also the Winterton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Mike Bristow.
January 2001