WINCH (WEST) is a parish and a village of detached houses on and near the Setch turnpike, 3 miles S. of Lynn, in Freebridge Lynn union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Lynn county court district and bankruptcy district, Lynn polling district of West Norfolk, Lynn (Norfolk) rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It contained 408 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1170 acres, and has a rateable value of £2866. The parish lies partly in the low meadows and common on the east side of the river Nar.
Lord William Henry Hugh Cholmondeley is lord of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to Lord Aveland, Sir L. W. Jarvis, and Francis Hay Gurney, Esq., a few smaller freeholders, and a number of copyholders.
The CHURCH (St Mary) comprises nave with south aisle and clerestory, south porch, chancel with vestry on north side, and lofty square tower with battlements and pinnacles. It is all of the Perpendicular period, except the chancel and south aisle, which are Early English. The tower arch is open to the nave, and the font stands near the west door, which has externally an elegant niche on each side and a large window above it. The rood-screen remains, and the vestry, which has a groined roof, contains two aumbries and a piscina.
The pulpit is modern, and its panels have paintings of the Four Evangelists and St. Peter. The chancel is filled with poppy-headed stalls, and the rest of the church with open benches. Here are tablets of the Hindson, Leete, and Codling families. The rails of the communion table are of the Jacobean period. The church was thoroughly restored in 1849, when all the windows were filled with cathedral glass with stained glass borders.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £9 13s. 4d., and now worth about £350 a year, has 28 acres of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge awarded in lieu of tithes in 1840. The Lord Chancellor is patron, and the Rev. George Eller, M.A., is incumbent, and has a handsome residence of Car-stone faced with white bricks, erected in 1847 at a cost of £1400.
The National School was built in 1837, and enlarged in 1874, and is attended by about 40 children.
The Wesleyans have a small chapel in the parish. A Primitive Methodist Chapel was erected in 1874, at a cost of £175. The Church Land, &c., comprises a house, six common rights, and four acres of land, let for about £25 a year. The poor parishioners have three cottages, two acres of land called the Town Yards, and nine common rights, let for about £33 a year. The rents are distributed in coal. The parish clerk has the Clerk's Close and several common rights.
A Labourer's Friend Society was established in 1844, for the purpose of hiring land and letting it out to the poor of the parish on the allotment system.
POST OFFICE at Mesdames Bowler & Winch's. Letters arrive at 7.10 a.m., and are despatched at 5.10 p.m. viâ Lynn.
Barrett Miss Annie Bodger James bricklayer and builder Bowler Miss Martha (B. & Winch) Bowler & Winch drapers Clarke William gardener Clarke William farmer Coldham William gardener Cooper Thomas farmer Curtis Charles farmer Curtis Robert cowkeeper Davies James gardener Daw Wm. Edwd. pork butcher, Lynn Dunn Geo. carpenter and wheelwright Dunn Thomas farmer Eller Rev. George, M.A. rector Elyard Robert cowkeeper Fayer Wm. farmer and parish clerk Frost John cowkeeper Fuller James Cooper victualler, Sportman's Arms Fuller Wm. vict. Cock, & blacksmith Godfrey Francis farmer Gore John cowkeeper Guyton James brickmaker Hearn William cowkeeper Henderson Miss Mary Annie schlmstrss Hodgson Thomas cowkeeper Howell Henry dairyman Ireland William tailor Kippen Robert farmer Leake Herbert Anderson oil and cake manufacturer, Lynn Lemmom Fredk. William corn miller Lemmon Mrs Margaret Link Edward bootmaker Little Harry farmer, Manor house Leverton Mr William Nicholls John dairyman Savage Wm. Peacock frmr. & landowner Smith Leonard Claxton fmr. & landownr Smith Leonard Claxton Springall Mr Thomas Triance Mr Henry Triance William farmer Wake Mr Edward Wake Mrs Susan Warren Alban carpenter Warren Isaac victualler, Chequers Wetherell John bank clerk Winch Miss Mary Ann (Bowler & W.), and postmistressCARRIERS pass through to Lynn
Copyright © Mike Bristow.