WINCH (EAST) is a considerable village, with several neat houses, pleasantly seated on the Swaffham turnpike, 6 miles S.E. by E. of Lynn. The parish contains 440 inhabitants, and 2,410 acres of land, belonging to the families of Kent, Platten, Curl, and Smith. The Rev. Geo. Edward Kent is lord of the manors of East Winch and Carrow; and the Bishop of Norwich is lord of the manor of Grancourt, containing about 80 acres.
An estate of about 800A., [belonging] to J. Platten, Esq., of Lynn, was lately the property of the Forsters. In 1815, an act was obtained for enclosing and draining the waste lands; but about 80A. still form an open common, on which the poor claim pasturage, &c.
The manor of Grancourt was purchased by Thomas de Grancourt; and in the 26th of Edward I., by Sir Wm. Howard, the famous judge, and founder of the illustrious family of the Howards, Dukes of Norfolk. Sir William, and several of his descendants were seated here, in the now small and dilapidated house called the Nunnery.
The CHURCH, (All Saints,) is an ancient fabric, and had on its south side a chapel, built by the Howards. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £8, and in 1831 at £183, has 12½A. of glebe. The Rev. G.E. Kent is patron, and the Rev. E. Edwards, M.A., of Lynn, is the incumbent.
Here is a National School, built in 1842.
The Town Lands consist of 9A. 3R. in this parish, and 19A. in Middleton, obtained at the enclosure, in lieu of land left by Robt. Astey, in 1607. The rents amount to £43 4s. 6d. a year, which is applied, as far as necessary, with the church rates, and the residue is carried to the poor rates. The poor have 10s. a-year out of the Notley tithes, left by the Rev. Thomas Hopes, in 1615.
Adderson Robert butcher Bodham Mrs. Elizabeth schoolmrs. Brighton Lucy vict., Maid's Head Curtis Christopher blacksmith Curl Joseph shopkeeper Davy William bricklayer Denton William victualler, Crown Goodison Youngmann shoemaker Harrison Robert bricklayer Holland Mr. Robert Lane Robert shopkeeper Munford Rev. George curate Powley Thomas parish clerk Rust James joiner & beer house kpr. Savory Henry wheelwright FARMERS. (* are Yeomen.) Coe Thomas Heaton John * Curl Jacob Smith John, (and * Curl Richard (brick maker) * Dye Robert Wix George
Copyright © Pat Newby.