Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Wimbotsham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

WIMBOTSHAM, a parish and village, 1 mile N.N.E. of Downham, comprises 582 inhabitants, and 1,771 acres of land, mostly the property of Sir Thomas Hare, the lord of the manors of Wimbotsham, Ingoldesthorpe, Tonwell, and Ramsey.

The CHURCH, (St. Mary,) is a high thatched fabric, with a square tower and three bells, and has recently undergone a thorough reparation, during which a painting of St. Christopher was discovered on the wall, and two piscinas. The south door has a fine Norman arch. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 6s. 8d., is consolidated with Stow Bardolph. (See page 626 [which is the entry for Stow Bardolph].)

In Sept. 1835, Mr. Green, the aeronaut, descended here, after a flight in his balloon from Vauxhall-gardens, London. After breakfasting with Mr. Pike, he ascended again into the aerial regions, and alighted at North Runcton.

The parish was enclosed and drained, under acts passed in 1798 and 1801.

The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have chapels here.

The poor have a share in the Hundred Acre Common, noticed at page 615 [see note below]. Two cottages, built on the waste, many years ago, are occupied by paupers.

Marked * are at Broomhill.

	  Allen       Rev. William Maxey  curate
	* Ayres       Mrs. Ann
	  Bartle      John                gentleman
	  Brown       Thomas              butcher
	  Chalton     Joel                victualler, Chequers
	  Chamberlain John Horace         relieving officer
	* Flannagan   Timothy             gentleman
	  Goodrum     Patrick             tailor
	  Harper      William             blacksmith
	  Harrison    Mrs. Ann
	* Mason       Mr. George
	  Rodwell     Robert              grocer and miller
	  Sharp       William             gardener
	* Snasdell    Miss Sarah
	  Wade        Robert Wright       schoolmaster and land surveyor

	     Beer Houses.                    FARMERS.

	  Bush        George              Brown      Joseph  (& ram breeder)
	  Cawdron     John                Page       Mary
	  Riches      Snasdell            Pike       John
	  Wightman    Thos.               Thorp      James

Note: This is part of the entry for Downham Market:

At the enclosure of the fen lands, &c., about 100A., called the HUNDRED ACRE COMMON, was vested with the churchwardens of Downham Market, Wimbotsham, and Stow Bardolph, in trust, that, after paying the drainage rates and other expenses, the clear yearly rents should be divided into three parts, for distribution among the poor of these parishes. The Eau-Brink and Downham drainage taxes, on this land, amount to about £25 per annum, and it is now let for £60 a year.


See also the Wimbotsham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 2002