WIGGENHALL ST. MARY THE VIRGIN, a small scattered village on the west side of the Great Ouse, 5 miles S.W. by S. of Lynn, has in its parish the hamlet of SADDLE-BOW, on the opposite side of that river and the Eau-Brink-Cut, within 3 miles of Lynn.
The parish contains 292 inhabitants, and about 2,500 acres of land, belonging to a number of freeholders, but formerly possessed by the Kerviles, who built a large brick hall here, with an embattled tower gate house; but this was pulled down after 1624, when the family became extinct, on the death of Sir Henry Kervile, a bigotted papist.
The CHURCH has a tower and five bells. In the chancel is an alabaster altar-tomb, with effigies of a man in armour, his lady, and two children. The seats in the nave and aisles, are of oak, carved with the figures of saints, &c.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £12, and in 1831 at £94, has recently been augmented to the yearly value of £175. It is in the gift of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. R.T. Powell, for whom a new Vicarage House has recently been erected.
Two houses and two roods of land belonging to the poor, are occupied by paupers.
Buffham Robert baker Marsters John merchant, Saddlebow Powell Rev. Richard Thomas vicar Park John parish clerk Scott Robert beer house, Saddlebow FARMERS. (* are at Saddlebow.) Beckett Thomas Moore George * Diggins Francis Moulson George * Earish Thomas Peak Christopher Lane H Eau Brink Wolsey John
Copyright © Pat Newby.