WICKMERE, 5 miles N. by W. of Aylsham, is a parish in Aylsham union, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy court district, Aldborough polling district of North Norfolk, Ingworth rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. The rateable value is £1646. It had 243 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 975 acres of land. Most of the parish belongs to the Earl of Orford, who is lord of the manor.
The CHURCH is a small building, comprising nave with aisles and clerestory, chancel, south porch, and round embattled tower with one bell. It was repaired and partly reseated in 1856. The sedilia and piscina still remain in the chancel, and near them is an ancient monument with three kneeling figures but no inscription. There is another piscina in the north aisle.
The Earl of Orford is patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £9, and is consolidated with that of Wolterton. The Rectory House is situated in this parish, and was erected in 1856.
A Board School is now building for Wickmere, Wolterton, and Calthorpe.
POST from Norwich, viâ Hanworth.
Beauchamp Rev. Robt. Willm. rector, Rectory Davison John shoemaker Gillam Stephen farmer Hall Robert blacksmith Lee Wm. Geo. farmer; h Barningham Parva Sharpin Elijah farmer
Copyright © Pat Newby.