WHISSONSETT, a village and parish, 5 miles S. of Fakenham, is in Mitford and Launditch union and petty sessional division, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy court district, Litcham polling district of West Norfolk, Launditch hundred, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 608 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1344 acres, and has a rateable value of £2643. The chief owners are Messrs. Horace Ringer, Thomas Francis, Richard Smith, and U.S. Phillippo. Messrs. Winter and Francis are joint lords of the manor.
The CHURCH (Virgin Mary) is a large structure of the 15th century, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and tower with four bells. It contains several inscriptions to the Bozoun, Hapton, Guybon, and other families. The Church has been thoroughly restored under the present rector. The Register dates from 1700.
The Rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10 3s. 4d., is consolidated with Horningtoft, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Francis Charles de Lona Lane, M.A., who has 90 acres of glebe, a yearly tithe rent-charge, for both parishes, of £714, and a good residence, erected in 1830. The tithes of this parish have been commuted for £327; and the common was enclosed in 1812.
The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here.
Nicholas Dunham, in 1591, left yearly rent-charges of 16s. 8d. to this parish, and 3s. 4d. each to Colkirk, Oxwick, and Horningtoft, for the poor.
A SCHOOL BOARD has been established for the United district of Whissonsett and Horningtoft, and a school has been erected here. The present Board consists of the Rev. F.C. de Lona Lane (chairman and clerk), and Messrs. J.G.E. Davey, H.L. Ringer, and J. Makins.
POST, MONEY ORDER OFFICE, and SAVINGS BANK at Mr. J.M. Thing's. Letters arrive at 8 a.m. and are despatched at 5 p.m., viâ East Dereham.
Bailey William Board schoolmaster Barker Aldridge butcher Barker Henry farmer Barker Robert farmer Barker Wm. plumber and glazier Basham Mr. Charles Basham Charles, jun. farmer Brown George wheelwright, blacksmith, and builder Carr Robert bootmaker Christopher George victualler, Bell Codman Jas. wheelwright & carpenter Cooper George baker Drury Richard farmer Dunger Elijah carter Elyard Robert vict. King's Head Finch William bricklayer Finch William bricklayer, Common Finn Harry P. farm bailiff Fish Robert farmer Hall John farmer Hill Rev. Alfred Ernest Booker curate Howard John bootmaker Jarred William farmer Jarred Mrs. Susannah Jubey George thrashing machine owner and shopkeeper Keeler Robert blacksmith Lacey John butcher Lane Rev. Francis Charles de Lona, M.A. rector Makins John, jun. farmer and thrashing machine owner Minister Arthur Jas. baker & corn dlr Ringer Horace Lock fmr.; h Rougham Skinner Geo. Nicholas farmer Skinner Miss Matilda Skinner William grocer and draper Stangroom Alfred grocer, draper, druggist, and stationer Taylor William blacksmith Tennant John farmer Thing James Meale postmaster, tailor, parish clerk, and carrier Watts Herbert bootmaker Watts Samuel saddler, and agent for Prudential Assurance Company Williamson Robert cattle dealer Winearles Augustus victualler, Swan Yaxley John miller & baker, & fmrCARRIER - J.M. Thing, to Fakenham; Tues. Thurs. & Sat.
Copyright © Pat Newby.