Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Whissonsett

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

WHISSONSETT, a village and parish, 5 miles S. of Fakenham, contains 692 inhabitants, and 1344 acres of land, mostly belonging to Colonel Jones, lord of the manor, Robert Campbell, Esq., and Mr. William Skinner.

The Church (Virgin Mary) is a large structure, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and tower with four bells. It was partly reseated in 1851, and contains several inscriptions to the Bozoun, Hapton, Guybon, and other families. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10. 3s. 4d., is consolidated with Horningtoft, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Curtis Kemp, M.A., who has 60A. 3R. 29P. of glebe, a yearly tithe rent-charge, for both parishes, of £686, and a good residence, erected in 1830. The tithes of this parish have been commuted for £327; and the common was enclosed in 1812.

The National School, with teacher's residence attached, was built by the present rector in 1857, and is attended by 50 children. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. In making a drain in the churchyard, in 1851, several silver coins of the reigns of Charles, Elizabeth, and the Edwards, were found; also two massive antique rings, one of gold and the other of silver.

Nicholas Dunham, in 1591, left yearly rent-charges of 16s. 8d. to this parish, and 3s. 4d. each to Colkirk, Oxwick, and Horningtoft, for the poor.

POST OFFICE at Sarah Hoy's. Letters despatched, via Brandon, at 4 p.m.

	Barker      Aldridge          butcher
	Basham      C.                hawker
	Bunning     John              plumber, painter, &c.
	Christopher George            beerhouse
	Franklin    John Thos.        boarding school
	Greenwood   Louisa            schoolmistress
	Kemp        Rev. Edw. Curtis,
	              M.A.            Rectory
	Melton      William           shopkeeper
	Nelson      John              carpenter
	Smith       Dennis            bricklayer
	Watts       Saml.             saddler
	Yaxley      Mr Matthew
	Yaxley      J.                clothes dlr
	Yaxley      William           corn miller

	   BAKERS.                       BLACKSMITHS.

	Fox         John              Fox      John
	Thompson    Jane              Mann     Wm. Brooke
	Wyer        John              Parker   Robert
	                              Taylor   Thomas

	                       FARMERS.

	Barker      William           Makins   John (and
	Branford    Wm. Hall                     brickmaker)
	Buscall     Elizabeth         Makins   Jeremiah
	Christopher George            Nelson   John
	Copeman     James             Skinner  William
	Fish        Robert            Wiffin   William
	Jarerd      Susan             Yaxley   William

	                    INNS & TAVERNS.

	Rush        James             Bell
	Fish        Robert            King's Head
	Buscall     Robt.             Swan

	   GROCERS & DRAPERS.            TAILORS.

	Garman      R. Hendry         Ramm     Lawson
	West        Robert (and       Ramm     William
	              leather cutter) Thing    James (and
	                                         parish clerk)

	   SHOEMAKERS.                   WHEELWRIGHTS.

	Chapman     Jeremiah          Brown    George
	Hall        William           Fox      John
	Howard      John
	Pratt       Robert
	Yarham      Robert


See also the Whissonsett parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
April 2006