WHISSONSETT, a village and parish, 5 miles S. of Fakenham, contains 702 inhabitants, and 1328 acres of land. Colonel Jones is lord of the manor, but here are a number of small land-owners. A fair is held here on Whit-Wednesday, for shoes and pedlery.
The CHURCH, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, is a large structure, with a tower, four bells, and several inscriptions to the Bozoun, Hapton, Gybon, and other families.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10. 3s. 4d., is consolidated with Horningtoft, in the gift of F.R. Reynolds, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. E.C. Kemp. The joint benefices were valued in 1831 at £722 per ann. The tithes of this parish have been commuted for the yearly rent of £327.
The common was enclosed in 1812. Nicholas Dunham, in 1591, left the yearly rent-charges of 16s. 8d. to this parish, and 3s. 4d. each to Colkirk, Horningtoft, and Oxwick, for the poor.
Barker Aldridge butcher Dashwood Rev Chas. John curate of Oxwick and Tittleshall Forby Mrs. baker Goggs Mrs M. Goodman Dennis vict. King's Head Hawkins Nathl. tea dlr. & schoolr. Hawkins Mr. Thos. Holland David shopkeeper Hoy Edw. watch mkr. and beerhs. Kemp Rev Edward rector Curtis Leaman Mrs Mason Mr John Neale Jas. joiner & cabinet maker Rudd Mrs Smith Hy. and Dennis bricklayers Stanforth Mrs Thing John joiner and par. clerk Walker Geo. horse brker & vict. Bell West Robt. draper & leather cutter Yaxley Mattw. cattle dealer and vic. Swan Blacksmiths. Fox Jno. wheelgt Parker Robert Taylor Thomas White Wm. FARMERS. Barrett - Bates Rt. Hall Brown Henry Carr Jonathan Jarerd Wm. [Possibly Jarred] Nelson Jno. joiner Powell Charles Seaman Henry Skinner Wm. Sparrow Wm. and butcher Yaxley Wm. and miller Shoemakers. Hall Wm. Pratt John Pratt Richard Rudd Robert Tailors and Clothes Dealers. Barker Wm. and hatter Basham Charles Basham Thomas Robinson Robert Thing James Yaxley JamesCARRIERS to Norwich, Lynn, &c., on market days.
Copyright © Pat Newby.