For more information about this parish see
Norfolk Parish Links.
Search for more references to this parish - See
Contents & Search above.
Modern and Historical Maps of this Parish.
Whissonsett is about 5 miles S. of Fakenham.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- Pegg, Lesley
- Memorial Inscriptions, St Mary the Virgin, Whissonsett, with
plan of church and churchyard, and index.
[Mid-Norfolk FHS, 1998]
- Surnames in Church Memorials
- With names from the War Memorial for WW1 and WW2.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Censuses
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brisley, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
Nearby Churches of all denominations.
- Church of the Virgin Mary
- Description, history and pictures.
- Church of the Virgin Mary
- Description and pictures.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Marriages 1700-1837
- See Phillimore's Marriage Registers, Volume 8.
- These are included in
Boyd's Marriage Index.
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837
and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Whissonsett was in
Mitford and Launditch Registration District.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration
Description and Travel
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel
- Whissonsett Village Pages
- Description, history, people, events, organisations, pictures,
village archives, etc.
- Whissonsett North Post Mill
- Whissonsett South Post Mill
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
Whissonsett is in Launditch hundred.
- Whissonsett - A Norfolk Village.
- The history of the village from Saxon days to families in
the present century, with illustrations and surname index.
[Privately published, 2000]
List of Surnames
- The Changing Face of Whissonsett.
- The development of the village over the centuries,
how buildings and streets have altered, the agriculture and
people, etc. With illustrations.
Land and Property
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Land and Property
- See Horningtoft
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Maps
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Mitford and Launditch Registration District, 1836
- Modern and Historical Maps
- Maps of the parish and nearby places.
- Roll of Honour
- World War 1.
Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the
10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and
|1801|| 55|| 82||387|
|1811|| 55|| 95||434|
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there
were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures
above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1851 Census
- "The decrease of population in the Parish of Whissonsett is
attributed to several families having removed to other parts."
- 1901 Census
- "Including Hamrow."
See Norfolk Parish Links: Voting Registers
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Pat Newby.