[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WESTON, or Weston Longville, is a parish of scattered houses, from 4 to 6 miles S. of Reepham, in St. Faith's union, Eynsford hundred and petty sessional division, Norwich county court and bankruptcy court district, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, Sparham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 404 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 2750 acres; it has a rateable value of £3789.
The soil is rich loam and is mostly the property of Col. Hambleton Fras. Custance, K.C.B., the lord of the manor, who resides at Weston House, a neat cemented mansion, delightfully situated on the south side of the vale of the Wensum, about a mile north of the church, and south of Lenwade Bridge, in a beautiful park, which has been recently improved by the addition of two handsome lodges. The old hall, now a farmhouse, was built by the Rokewoods, who had large estates in the neighbourhood at an early period. W.T. Collison, Esq., the (Exors. of) Rev. Hy. Collison, the Rev. H.E. Lombe, G.D. Berney, Esq., and some smaller owners have land in the parish.
The CHURCH (All Saints) has a tower and five bells. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8 18s. 1d., and now having 47A. 3R. 1P. of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £680, awarded in 1840 in lieu of tithes. It is in the patronage of New College, Oxford, and incumbency of the Rev. Chas. C. Egerton, who has a good residence, built in 1841.
The United Methodist Free Church has a small chapel on the Green, about one mile south of the church, built in 1839.
A handsome school, in the Elizabethan style, with teacher's residence attached, was built in 1856 by Col. Sir H.F. Custance, K.C.B., who still supports it.
A cottage, taken down, and about two acres of land, left to the poor by Wm. Chapman, in 1724, are let for £7. The poor have also three roods of land, left by Richard Sheffield, and three yearly rent-charges, viz., 10s., left by Thos. Spencer; 3s. 4d., by Richard Bunn; and 10s. by an unknown donor.
In 1852, some men making a ditch in this parish came upon an urn containing about 300 silver coins of the Iceni, many of which are now preserved in the British Museum.
Wall Letter Box. Letters arrive 8.30 a.m., and despatched 4.30 p.m., viâ Norwich.
Baker Charles builder & carpenter Barrett John farmer Bates William farmer Bunn John farmer Clark David blacksmith Custance Col. Sir Hambleton Fras. K.C.B. Weston house Egerton Rev. Chas. C. rector, Rectory Faux George G. tailor Fransham Daniel frmr. Old Hall frm Gooch George Fredk. vety. surgeon and farmer Gray Henry vict. Eagle Inn & farmr Gray Henry, jun. farmer Grey James grocer and draper Harvey Wm. farmer, and Fakenham Hook Jas. ironfounder, machinist and implement agent Hubbard John carpenter Hubbard William farmer Lewell Edmund farmer Milk David farmer Pratt Elijah shoemaker Pratt William carrier to Norwich Richmond Edward farmer Richmond John farmer Salisbury Mrs Susan farmer Salisbury Thomas farmer Woods William parish clerk
See also the Weston Longville parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.