[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
WEREHAM is a pleasant village, on a gentle acclivity, 2 miles N.W. of Stoke Ferry, and 12 miles S. by E. of Lynn, including in its parish 625 inhabitants, and 2,145 acres of land, more than half of which is in grass. The principal land owners are, J.B.S. Bradfield, Esq., J. Houchen, Esq., Rev. J.B. Sparke, H.B. Mason, Esq., the Norwich Union Insurance Co., and the Trustees of the late A. Sewell, Esq., the first of whom is lord of Cavenham, and the last are lords of Wereham manor.
Cavenham House, the ancient seat of the family of Eyres, is now occupied by a farmer. Wiron Hall, the old manor house, stood in a field, now called Stoneoaks close. The present Wereham Hall was built by its present occupant, John Houchen, Esq., about 14 years ago, and is a neat mansion, with large gardens and pleasure grounds.
Winwall Priory, so called from its being dedicated to St. Winwaloe, was founded by the Earls of Clare, in the time of Richard I., or King John, for Benedictine monks, and granted at the dissolution to Thomas Guybon and Wm. Mynn. Some remains of this priory may still be seen near WINWALL HOUSE, an ancient Norman structure, (about a mile N. of the village,) now occupied by a farmer, and supposed to have been the prison of the Honour of Clare, this being the head lordship in that barony. Winwall Fair, formerly held here on March 3rd, was removed to Downham some years ago.
Wereham CHURCH, (St. Margaret,) has a nave, south aisles, chancel, and square tower, with one bell. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the King's Book at £10 2s. 6d., and in 1831 at £109. It was augmented in 1751 and '2, with £400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and with a yearly rent-charge of £18 given by Roger Pratt, Esq., to be paid out of the tithes, now held by E.R. Pratt, Esq., the patron of the curacy, which is now enjoyed by the Rev. James Royle, together with that of Wretton. The glebe of the two parishes is 52 acres; and the incumbent has a yearly modus of £32 from the impropriators, E.R. Pratt, Esq., and the Trustees of the late Mr. Eyres. The tithes of Wereham have lately been commuted for about £550 per annum; except the tithes of about 200 acres, which belong to the owners of the land.
The Wesleyans have a chapel here; and in the village is a large pool of clear water, supplied by a copious spring.
The Fuel Allotment, about 20A., was awarded at the enclosure in 1818. The poor cut turf and flags upon it, and let the herbage for £5 a year. The poor parishioners have the dividends of £441 three and a half per cent. Stock, purchased with £500, left by Sarah Adamson, in 1791; the dividends of £464 4s. 4d. three per cent. Consols, purchased with £300 left by Richd. Adamson, in 1800; and the dividends of £100 of the latter Stock, purchased with £90 left by John Whaite, in 1826.
Alymer Geo. grocer and draper Bland Mr. Thos. Butter John carpenter Butter William Durrant William shoemaker Fryer James wheelwright Houchen John, Esq. (conveyancer,) Wereham Hall Hudson William gardener Legood Edward boardg. & day-school Mason Hy. Bence, Esq. White House Mason Hy. Baxter Branwhite solr. Mills William vict., Crown Oldman Robert corn miller Royle Rev. Jermyn, M.A. curate Sewell Philip, Esq. Smith James beerhouse keeper Smith Wm. vict., George & Dragon Tingay Jas. grocer, draper, spirit merchant, & tallow chandler Tolman William vict., Nag's Head Watson Charles tailor Wolsey Edward corn miller Bakers. FARMERS. Dent George Bland Thomas Hudson John Carter Robert Carter Thomas Blacksmiths. Curtis James, Cavenham House Desforges Wm. Robertson Robert Gayford James Vince Amos Steward Samuel, Winwall House Wright John Tingay Mary Ann Butchers. Fretwell William Read John
POST OFFICE, at Mr. J. Tingay's; letters daily
See also the Wereham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.