WEETING-WITH-BROOMHILL form one parish, near the Little Ouse river, from 1 to 2 miles N. of Brandon, and 9 miles S.E. by S. of Stoke Ferry.
They contain 303 inhabitants, and 3992 acres of land, including 1500A. of woods and plantations, and all the property of John Angerstein, Esq., of Weeting Hall, a large and handsome mansion, in a well-wooded park, founded by the late Earl of Montrath, from whom it passed to Lord Bradford, who sold it and the estate to the late John Julius Angerstein, Esq., who was born at Petersburgh, in 1735, came to England in 1749, under the patronage of A. Thompson, Esq., an eminent Russian merchant, and became a celebrated and wealthy stock broker and underwriter at Lloyds.
He planted here upwards of 1000 acres, was a distinguished patron and connoisseur of ancient and modern art, and the first proposer of State Lotteries in England. He resided chiefly in Pall Mall, and at the Woodlands, on Black Heath. He died in 1823, and his valuable collection of paintings were purchased for the National Gallery, at the cost of nearly £60,000.
That eminent poet, Thomas Shadwell, who died in 1691, is said to have been born at WEETING, a small village of detached houses, formerly having two CHURCHES; but St. Mary's became a ruin by the fall of the tower more than a century ago, and but little of its walls are now standing. These ruins are in the park, near the hall; and at a short distance is All Saints Church, a small edifice, with a nave, chancel, and belfry.
The rectories of Weeting All Saints and St. Mary, (the former valued in the King's Book at £10. 8s. 1½d., and the latter at £8. 1s. 8d.,) are consolidated in the patronage of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Manning, M.A., of Diss. They were valued in 1831 at £486 per annum. The tithes were commuted in 1845.
BROOMHILL, or Bromehill, is a manor and farm 1 mile S. of Weeting, on the north bank of the navigable Little Ouse river, near Brandon Bridge, where there will be a station at the junction of the Norwich and Brandon Railway with the Northern and Eastern Railway. (See page 82 [which is the entry for Railways in the History of Norwich].)
Broomhill has a cattle fair on July 7th, and had a Priory, of Augustine monks, founded by Sir Hugh de Plaiz, about the reign of King John, but suppressed in 1528, by Pope Clement VII., and afterwards granted to Cardinal Wolsey. Fen-dike, Grimes-Graves, and other intrenchments in and near this parish, are noticed at page 391 [which is the entry for Grimshoe Hundred].
Weeting sends four poor boys to the Free School at Brandon; and its poor have the interest of £45 left by several donors, and about £20 every fifth year from Atmere's Charity, as noticed with Foulden.
Angerstein John, Esq. Weeting Hall Newdick Chas. farmer, Broomhill Carr Thos. land agent Pepworth Richard farmer, Fen-dike Cook Wm. shopkeeper, plumber, &c. Jacob Sarah schoolmistress Clifton Robt. brewer, maltster, and corn, coal, wine, and spirit merchant, Brandon Bridge Plumb Henry vict., Ram Murrell John lighterman, Bridge
(For BRANDON, see our Suffolk Vol.)
Copyright © Pat Newby.