Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Weasenham St Peter

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

WEASENHAM ST. PETER, or Lower Weasenham, is a small village and parish, 6 miles S.W. by S. of Fakenham, and 2½ miles from Rudham Station, nearly all the property of the Earl of Leicester, who is lord of the manor and lessee of the rectorial tithes. It is in Mitford and Launditch union and petty sessional division, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy court district, Launditch hundred, Massingham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 268 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1423 acres, and has a rateable value of £2047.

The CHURCH was restored in 1870, at a cost of £2500, by A. Blomfield, Esq., at the expense of the vicar and family, and comprises nave, south aisle, north porch, and low tower. It contains an ancient font, and a handsome stained glass window inserted by the vicar in memory of his late wife.

The vicarage is consolidated with that of Weasenham All Saints; and the joint livings have been augmented with £600 of Queen Anne's Bounty since 1760, and are now valued at £375 per annum. The Rev. Straton Charles Campbell, M.A., is the incumbent, and has here a good residence and about 19 acres of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839.

The Fuel Allotment is noticed with [Weasenham] All Saints parish. The Town Estate is now sold, and £300 invested in 3 per cent. consols, producing £9, which is distributed in educational prizes. For a weekly distribution of bread, the poor have an annuity of 53s. out of Nicholl's Close, left by Charles Wilson in 1729.

In the reign of Edward III., Sir John de Weasenham was the king's butler, and, being a rich merchant of London, had the king's crown in pawn for money advanced for the wars in France.

Kipton Ash sheep fair, formerly held at Hampton Green, on the first Wednesday in September, was the largest sheep fair in the county, but has now degenerated into a ram sale.

POST OFFICE at Mr. Mark Deadman's. Letters through Swaffham, per mail cart, arrive at 6 a.m., despatched at 7 p.m. The nearest Money Order Office is Rougham.

	Artis     John Hovell        baker, &c.
	Campbell  Rev. Straton
	            Charles, M.A.    Vicarage
	Deadman   Mark               grocer, draper, and post office
	Dyball    Thos.              machinist, agricultural implement
	                               manufr. iron and brass founder,
	                               agent for Burgess & Key's reapers
	                               and mowers
	Ewer      James              blacksmith
	Joplin    Mrs Barbara        victualler, Fox and Hounds
	Kendle    Robt. John         frmr. Kipton hs
	Overman   Henry              farmer, agent to the North British &
	                               Mercantile Fire & Life Insurance Co.
	Page      Mrs Jane LeGrice   White house

See also the Weasenham St Peter parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
July 2007