WEASENHAM ST. PETER, or Lower Weasenham, is a small village and parish, 7 miles S.W. by S. of Fakenham, containing 310 souls and 1397 acres of land, nearly all the property of the Earl of Leicester, who is lord of the manor and lessee of the rectory.
The Church is a neat structure, with a low tower, and is a vicarage, consolidated with that of Weasenham All Saints. The joint livings have been augmented with £600 of Queen Anne's Bounty since 1760. Here are 15A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839.
The Fuel Allotment is noticed with All Saints parish. The Town Estate comprises two tenements, let for £5. 5s., and 2A. 2R. 15P. of land, let for £7. For a weekly distribution of bread, the poor have an annuity of 53s. out of Nicholls' Close, left by Chas. Wilson, in 1729.
In the reign of Edward III., Sir John de Wesenham was the king's butler, and being a rich merchant of London, had the king's crown in pawn for money advanced for the wars in France.
Campbell Rev Charles vicar Carr John brewer, Post-office Dye Henry wheelwgt. & blacksmith Hendry Thomas butcher Kendle James farmer Overman Henry farmer Penteny Wm. vict. Fox & Hounds West Rt. grocer, draper, & [ironmgr] Yorke Rev Thos. curate of Rougham
MAIL GIG from Swaffham to Fakenham, daily.
CARRIERS from Lynn, Norfolk, &c., call at the Fox and Hounds
Copyright © Pat Newby.