WEST WALTON is a considerable village near the Roman Bank, 3 miles N.N.E. of Wisbech, and 12 miles S.W. by W. of Lynn. Its extensive parish (seven miles long, and one broad,) has augmented its population, since the year 1801, from 513 to 905 souls, and comprises many scattered houses, and 5516A. 3R. 30P. of land, including a large portion of the Smeeth and Fen, near Emneth, (see page 469,) and 600 acres on the west side of the river Nene, in the Isle of Ely. The King is lord of the manor of West Walton-cum-Membris, held by leaseholders and copyholders on fines certain; J. Wing, Esq., of Wisbech, is the steward. But part of the parish is in Newton Colville manor, of which S. Girdlestone, Esq., is lord; and in Coleraine manor, of which the Rev. C.H. Townshend is lord. Capt. Trafford, John Bellamy, Esq., and many others, have estates here.
The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, is a beautiful free-stone structure, consisting of a nave, north and south aisles, a chancel, and a massive but elegant tower, with five bells, standing detached at the distance of 22 yards to the south, and forming a fine specimen of the early English style, when the Norman ornaments, and their massy proportions, were joined to the lighter pointed arches. The exterior of this tower is covered with arches, niches, and clustered columns; and the whole church is full of interest, in the same style of architecture, mixed with occasional specimens of higher antiquity. On the north side of the chancel, under a tabernacle, lies the effigy of a man in a religious habit.
The benefice is in two RECTORIES, viz., West Walton Elien, valued in the King's Book at £16, in the patronage of the King, and incumbency of the Rev. E.E. Blencowe, of Lynn; and West Walton Lewes, valued in the King's Book at £16. 13s. 4d., in the gift of the Rev. C.H. Townshend, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Atwill Lake. - The former is a sinecure, from which, we suppose, it has the name of Elien, or alien; the cure being alienated from the parish, though the incumbent regularly receives his moiety of the tithes.
The FREE SCHOOL, in the vestry, is endowed with the dividends of £750 three per cent. consolidated annuities, bequeathed by Mrs. Dales, in 1792, for the education of 20 poor children.
There are 17A. 2R. 8P. of POORS' LAND in West Walton, and 10 acres in Walpole St. Peter, let together for £72. 5s. per annum; besides the Ferry House and land on the west side of the Nene, in this parish, let for £9. 10s. a-year. The poor have also a yearly rent-charge of £4. 15s. out of Captain Trafford's estate. The donors are unknown. In 1834, the poor's land was vested in new feoffees, viz., Thos. Bates, sen., Wm. Pratt, Edw. Cross, Robert Bean, James Watts, John Bonney, and Johnson Porter.
Marked 1 are at FEN-END, from 5 to 6 miles S.E. of the village.
Fisher Jacob parish clerk Lake Rev. Atwill Rectory Reynolds Robert blacksmith Shacklock George schoolmaster and vestry clerk Smith Wm. coal dlr. Workhouse PUBLIC HOUSES. Lowden Leonard King of Hearts 1 Haines John Robin Hood 1 Terrington Robert Three Jolly Farmers, Smeeth Beer Houses. Corn Millers. 1 Bates James 1 Dobbs John Oldfield Joseph Towell Richard Stork John Thornton Saml. 1 Water Benj. Farmers. Apsey Thomas Hall Thomas 1 Bates Thomas, sen. 1 Handley John Bean Robert 1 Hubbard Ths. sen. 1 Bell Joseph Hubbard Thos. jun. Rmn. bnk. Bellamy Wm. 1 Humphrey Ts. Bonney John Johnson Edm. Catlin Wm. Marsden Joseph 1 Clark Henry Medworth Smn. Coker Charles 1 Popeley Stpn. 1 Collins Wm. 1 Porter John, sen. & jun. Cott Jas. Smeeth 1 Porter James Cross Edward Pratt Wm. Cross John 1 Reader Robt. 1 Dexter John Smith Wm. Edgoose Stanton, & Co. 1 Taylor Benj. 1 Farrin John 1 Watts James 1 Fisher Wm. 1 Watts Humpy. Foster Thomas Watts Thomas 1 Fundry Widow 1 Woods Michl. Garton Thomas Wright Ann Wheelwrights. 1 Bates Thos. jun. Hines John 1 Taylor Joshua
Copyright © Pat Newby.