WALSINGHAM, (GREAT) or OLD WALSINGHAM, is a large parish and village, in the vale of the Stiffkey rivulet, 1 mile N. of the town of New Walsingham, containing 426 inhabitants, and 2,367 acres of land, belonging to a number of proprietors; the largest of whom is - the Rev. D.H. Lee-Warner, the lord of the manor, (mostly fines arbitrary,) and patron of the CHURCH, (St. Peter,) which is an ancient fabric, with a nave, aisles, and tower, and formerly had a large chancel, now in ruins. Here was formerly another church, dedicated to All Saints, and standing a little north of St. Peter's, but no vestiges of it now remain. The benefice is a donative, consolidated with Little Walsingham. The joint livings were valued in 1831 at £168, and the tithes were commuted in 1808.
Berry Hall, a large ancient mansion, in the vale below the church, is the seat of John Brooke, Esq.
In a field near the village, were dug up, in 1658, from 40 to 50 Roman urns, some containing two pounds of burnt bones, and fragments of various ornaments. Near them, were found coals and incinerated substances, which led to conjecture that the bodies had been burnt there.
In 1674, Robert Ward, charged his estate with the yearly payment of 20s., to each of the parishes of Great Walsingham and Thursford, for the poor. The estate charged, belongs to the Flood family, except one moiety, which they have sold to Sir C. Chad. The poor of this parish have also a yearly rent-charge of 20s., left by Henry Graye, in 1601; and a Fuel Allotment of 12A. 1R. 7P., awarded at the enclosure, in 1810, and now let for £19 a year.
Brooke John, Esq. Berry Hall Cornish Henry machine maker and founder Lewis Wm. smith & vict., Three Tuns Magnus Alexander tea dealer, plumber &c. Parker Mr. John Scott Thomas victualler, Half Moon Stringer Charles blacksmith Wright John baker & flour dealer FARMERS. * are owners Buscall Robert * Groom John Howell John Lowne Joseph Merrison Mary Simpson William Smith Joseph Tofts Thomas * Tuck Maria
Copyright © Pat Newby.