Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Wacton

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

WACTON, in a pleasant valley about 1½ mile S.E. of Forncett station, 11 miles S. by W. of Norwich, and 6½ miles E.N.E. of New Buckenham, is a parish in Depwade union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Harleston county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy court district, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, Depwade rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 233 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1044 acres of land. The rateable value is £1425. The parish includes a common of 273A.

It was formerly two parishes, called Wacton Magna and Parva, but the church of the latter was dilapidated in 1522, when the two rectories were consolidated. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor, in which the fines are arbitrary: but Wacton Hall, now a farmhouse, belongs to Colonel H. A. Walford; and R. R. Burroughes, Esq., and several others have estates here. Wacton House, near the church, is the residence of Major H. F. Holmes, J.P.

The CHURCH (All Saints), which was re-roofed and slated in 1869, has a round tower with three bells. It has five good windows on each side, and near the east end are sedilia and a very fine piscina. The font is ancient, and bears the evangelistic symbols.

The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7 13s. 4d., is in the patronage of Alex. Webber, Esq. The present rector is the Rev. Edward T. Chadwick, who has a good residence, built in 1846. The glebe is 31A. and the tithes were commuted in 1841 for £312 per annum.

The poor have a yearly rent-charge of 52s., left by Eliz. Bayspool in 1711, out of land belonging to J. Cotman, Esq.

Here is a National School, built in 1872, with accommodation for 50 children.

POST via Long Stratton, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.

	Butler     Robert          corn-miller
	Chadwick   Rev. Edward T.  The Rectory
	Dade       Thomas          shoemaker & shopkpr
	Dennis     Alexander       farmer
	Holmes     Major Henry
	             Tuke, J.P.    Wacton House
	Le Grys    William         farmer, Hill farm
	Mann       John            farmer, Wacton hall
	Peck       Edward          farmer
	Peck       James           farmer and owner
	Punchard   James           farmer; h London
	Smith      Geo.            joiner & vict. Duke's Head
	Snelling   John G.         farmer; h Norwich
	Weston     Mrs Harriet     farmer & owner

See also the Wacton parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
June 2001