WACTON, in a pleasant valley, about 1½ [miles] S.E. of Forncett station, 11 miles S. by W. of Norwich, and 6½ miles E.N.E. of New Buckenham, has in its parish 244 inhabitants and 1044 acres of land, including a common of 273A. It was formerly two parishes, called Wacton Magna and Parva, but the church of the latter was dilapidated in 1522, when the two rectories were consolidated. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor, in which the fines are arbitrary: but Wacton Hall, now a farm-house, belongs to Charles Walford, Esq.; and R.R. Burroughes, Esq., and several others, have estates here.
The Church (All Saints) has a lofty thatched nave, and a round tower with three bells. It has five good windows on each side, and near the east end are sedilia and a very fine piscina. The font is ancient, and bears the evangelistic symbols. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 13s. 4d., is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Grain, M.A., who has a good residence, built in 1846. The glebe is 31A., and the tithes were commuted in 1841 for £312 per annum.
The poor have a yearly rent-charge of 52s. left by Eliz. Bayspool in 1711, out of land belonging to J. Cotman, Esq. POST via Long Stratton.
Alexander Mr Richard Bishop William nurseryman, &c. Dade Wm. blacksmith, (and at Pulham) Grain Rev. Charles, M.A. Rectory Lloyd Henry machine and drill owner Ludkin Robert shopkeeper Newman Robert farm bailiff Rivett Mrs Elizabeth Smith Christopher carpenter Stimpson Henry corn miller Youngman William, sen. tailor and victualler, Duke's Head FARMERS. (* are Owners.) Beckett James Hall Bush Noah Fisher Robt. King * Holmes Jno. Colby Le Grys John Le Grys William Marriner Robert Peck Edward * Peck James Pidgeon Jonas Smith Christopher Talbot Wm. Elijah Wilderness farm * Weston John
Copyright © Pat Newby.