WACTON, in a pleasant valley, 11 miles S. by W. of Norwich, and 6½ miles E.N.E. of New Buckenham, has in its parish 267 souls, and 1044 acres of land, including a common of 273A. It was formerly two parishes, called Wacton Magna and Parva, but the church of the latter was dilapidated in 1522, when the two rectories were consolidated.
The Rev. Clarke Stoughton is lord of the manor, (fines arbitrary;) but Wacton Hall, now a farm-house, belongs to Chas. Walford, Esq., and several others have estates here.
The Church (All Saints,) has a round tower and three bells. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7. 13s. 4d., is in the gift of the Rev. Ellis Burroughes, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Atkinson, of Bacton. The glebe is 33A. 2R. 5P., and the tithes were commuted in 1841 for £323. 4s. per annum.
The poor have a yearly rent-charge of 52s., left by Eliz. Bayspool, in 1711, out of land belonging to the Rev. J. Cotman.
Alderton Mattw. shoemkr Bishop Wm. nurseryman Buxton John vict. Duke's Head Dade Wm. blacksmith Dade Jonth. beer seller Dye John beer seller Rivett Ellis miller Smith Chpr. carpenter farmers Alexander Richd. Delf Wm. Everett John Fuller Thomas Coleby Margaret Harvey [see note below] Holmes John Howe Wm. Le Grice John Webster John Weston John and Wm.
Copyright © Pat Newby.