[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TUTTINGTON, a pleasant village and parish in a valley, 2 miles E. of Aylsham, is in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, South Erpingham hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham polling district of North Norfolk, Ingworth rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 198 inhabitants in 1881, living on 830 acres, and has a rateable value of £1473.
Part of the parish lies in W.F. Windham, Esq.'s manor of Tuttington-with-Crackford (fines abitrary), and partly in George Copeman, Esq.'s manor of Aylsham Wood or Sextons (fines certain). Tuttington Hall, the property of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, is now held on lease by Mr. W. Case. Messrs. W. Postle, W. Waterson, and others have estates here, the rest belonging to William Forster and W.S. Postle, Esqs.
The CHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul) is a neat edifice with nave, chancel, south porch, and round tower with one bell, and is about to be restored. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5 0s. 7d., was augmented from 1769 to 1796 with £600 of Queen Anne's Bounty, besides which the vicar has 15A. 3R. of glebe allotted at the enclosure in 1817, and a yearly rent-charge of £105, awarded in 1841 in lieu of the small tithes. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. Armine Slipper, M.A., incumbent.
In 1214, here was a chapel dedicated to St. Botolph, but no vestiges of it are now extant. The Wesleyan Chapel was built and endowed in 1859 by Mr. R.M. Sutton. The tithes are vicarial, £105, augmented by £78, rectorial, by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who are owners of the great tithes.
POST OFFICE at Mr William Futter's. Letters viâ Norwich.
Bird Henry farmer Case William farmer, Hall & Burgh Climpson - farm bailiff Futter William postmaster Hall Frederick farmer & shopkeeper Martin Walter blacksmith Rivett James victualler, Ship Inn Spink John parish clerk Slipper Rev. Armine, M.A. vicar, The Vicarage
See also the Tuttington parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.