[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TUTTINGTON, a pleasant village and parish in a valley, 2 miles E. of Aylsham, has 202 inhabitants and 830 acres of land, partly in W.F. Windham, Esq.'s manor of Tuttington-with-Crackford (fines arbitrary), and partly in Geo. Copeman, Esq.'s manor of Aylsham Wood or Sextons (fines certain). Tuttington Hall is the property of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and is now held on lease by Thos. Hy. Case, Esq., of Hevingham, but is occupied by Henry Bidewell, Esq. Messrs. Wm. Postle, Benj. B. Bowles, Wm. Barnard Bowles, and R.M. Sutton, and others have estates here.
The Church (St. Peter and St. Paul) is a neat edifice with nave, chancel, south porch, and round tower and one bell. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 0s. 7d., was augmented from 1769 to 1796 with £600 of Queen Anne's Bounty, vested in 15A. of land at Halvergate; besides which the vicar has 15A. 3R. of glebe allotted at the enclosure in 1817, and a yearly rent-charge of £105, awarded in 1841 in lieu of the small tithes. The Bishop of Norwich is patron and the Rev. Samuel Hobson, LL.B., of Marsham, incumbent. The great tithes belong to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
In 1214, here was a Chapel dedicated to St. Botolph, but no vestiges of it are now extant. The Wesleyan Chapel was built and endowed in 1859 by Mr. R.M. Sutton.
The chief residents are -
Beck Samuel vict., Ship Bidewell Henry, Esq. Hall Dyke Thos. shopkeeper Grimes Jas. grocer and farmer Lambert John shoemaker Miller Wm. blacksmith Postle Rev. John, B.A. rector of Felmingham Spinks Wm. parish clerk farmers. Bowles Benj. Brettingham Hall John Neave George Sutton Richard Merrison
POST from Norwich, via Hevingham.
See also the Tuttington parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.