Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Tuttington

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

TUTTINGTON, a pleasant village and parish, in a valley, 2 miles E. of Aylsham, has 227 souls, and 822 acres of land, partly in W.H. Windham, Esq.'s manor of Tuttington-with-Crackford, (fines abitrary,) and partly in Robt. Copeman, Esq.'s manor of Aylsham Wood, or Sextons, (fines certain.) Tuttington Hall, the beautiful residence and leasehold of Edwd. Blake, Esq., is the property of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge.

The Church (St. Peter and St. Paul,) has a round tower, and was repaired in 1749. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £5. 7d., was augmented from 1769 to 1796, with £600 of Queen Anne's Bounty, vested in 15A. of land, at Halvergate; besides which the vicar has 15A 3R. of glebe, allotted at the enclosure, in 1817, and a yearly rent of £105, awarded in 1841, in lieu of the small tithes. The Bishop of Ely is appropriator and patron, and the Rev. George Jarvis, B.D., incumbent. In 1214, here was a Chapel dedicated [to] St. Botolph, but no vestiges of it are now extant.

DIRECTORY:

	Blake   Edwd. Esq.   Hall
	Elden   Wm.          gent.
	Lambert Thos.        shoemaker
	Martin  Jas.         blacksmith
	Spink   Wm.          parish clerk
	Wilson  Robert       vict., Ship

	   farmers.

	Allen   Samuel
	Bowles  Benj. B.
	Bowles  Bernard
	Cable   Robt.
	Gowen   Zach.
	Hall    John
	Webster Robert

See also the Tuttington parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
August 1999