TUDDENHAM (EAST) is a parish and a pleasant village of scattered houses, 6 miles E. of East Dereham and 9 miles W. of Norwich, is in Mitford and Loddon [sic - should be Launditch] union and petty sessional division, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Mitford hundred, Dereham polling district of South Norfolk, Mitford division of Hingham rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 453 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2066A. 12P., and has a rateable value of £3306.
The parish lies in the manors of Cockfields, Astleys, Berrys, and Aphaws, of which Lady Bayning is lady; but some smaller owners have estates here.
The CHURCH (All Saints), which comprises nave, chancel, and south porch, stands not a quarter of a mile from the village, and is a neat structure. The church bell, which was dated 1626, was recast in 1882 at the expense of Lady Bayning. There is a beautiful stained-glass window, representing the Descent from the Cross, the Ascension, and deveral other devices, painted by the widow of a late vicar, the Rev. Edward Mellish, Dean of Hereford, who died in 1830, and was buried in the chancel. A two-light window has just been placed in the chancel, to the memory of the late vicar. There are several ancient and modern monuments of the Reed, Du Quesne, Mellish, and other families, and an effigy of a knight in armour, supposed to represent Sir Edmund de Berry.
The building was restored, reseated with open benches, and fitted with new pulpit, reading-desk, altar-rails, and reredos of carved oak, in 1850. A tesselated pavement floor was presented to the church in 1878 by the Rev. W.C. Ward, for many years curate of this parish. The registry dates from the year 1561.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7 6s., was augmented in 1723 with £200, given by F. Tilney, Esq., and £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty. It is consolidated with that of Honingham. Tithe commutation to impropriator £168 5s., and to vicar £445 9s. and 104 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lady Bayning, and held by the Rev. John Robert Feilden, M.A.
There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists.
The National School, erected in 1840, and enlarged in 1859 by the patron at a cost of £90, is attended by 150 children of this parish and Honingham, and supported by Lady Bayning, the vicar, voluntary rate, and school pence.
East Tuddenham Town Lands, 16A. 1R., were given by John Proo, in the 19th of Henry VIII., to pay the common charges of the parish. To this property an allotment of 6 acres was awarded at the enclosure, and the whole is now let for £32 per annum. The Fuel Allotment, awarded in 1804, is 25 acres, let for about £30, which is distributed in coal among the poor. Frederick Tilney, in 1717, gave three tenements for the residence of poor parishioners, and they were taken down in 1859, when four neat cottages were erected on their site. Attached to them are 2R. 26P. of land, which were allotted at the enclosure.
The Poor's charity is let for £32, out of the rent of which four cottages, as free residences for the aged poor, were built in lieu of the old cottages. In 1705 the Rev. Jeremiah and Mary Revans gave 1½ acres of land, called Seabornes, for distributions of bread every fortnight, and a yearly sermon. The former also gave for the same uses a yearly rent-charge of 39s., out of a farm now belonging to Mr. Balls. The poor have the following yearly doles, viz., 6s. from Mowting's charity, 3s. from land left by an unknown donor, and £2 8s. 6d., paid by Lady Bayning, as the gift of the Rev. T.R. Duquesne, who died about 1785.
LETTERS from East Dereham arrive at 8.45 a.m., per messenger. Pillar Letter-box, at Mr. D. Parker's, cleared at 4.30 p.m., Sundays at 10 a.m. Mattishall is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Armes Daniel farmer & overseer Athurton Frederick farmer Athurton Thomas farmer Bales Mrs Mary Ann farmer Barrett Wm. shoemaker and coal dlr Basey George farmer Bayfield Geo. farmer & horse dealer Blyth William wheelwright Child Mrs Eliza Esther farmer Claxton James farmer Claxton William carrier Comer Elijah wheelwright Cranness Wm. boot and shoemaker Curson Edward farmer Curson Elijah farmer & pork butcher Fisher Joseph farmer Guymer Charles farmer Moore William Woodhouse victualler, Bull Inn, and blacksmith Neave Mrs Elizabeth Ann farmer, Hill farm Neave John Gooch farmer Neave Walter parish clerk & sexton Neve Joseph shopkeeper Parker Daniel grocer, draper, milliner and general dealer Richmond Thomas plumber, glazier and farmer Stimpson Benjamin farmer; h Norton-on-the-hill Wright William and Mrs Ellen National school teachersCARRIERS to Norwich, Thomas Baker and William Claxton, Wed. & Sat.; Howes, from Mattishall; Norton, from Mattishall Burgh; and Pamment, from East Dereham, pass thro'
A stained glass window was unveiled in June 1883, which had been inserted by subscription in memory of the Rev. T.L. Fellowes, a late vicar.
Copyright © Pat Newby.