TUDDENHAM (EAST) is a pleasant village of detached houses, 6 miles E. of East Dereham, and 9 miles W. of Norwich; comprising in its parish 103 inhabitants, and 1085 acres of land, forming the manors of Cockfields, Astleys, Berrys and Aphaws [sic], of which Lord Bayning is lord; but S. and J.K. Gooch, Esqrs., have estates here, and several residents occupy their own farms.
The CHURCH (All Saints) stands half a [mile] from the village, and is a neat Gothic structure, with a beautiful stained glass window, representing the Descent from the Cross, the Ascension, and several other devices, painted by the widow of the late vicar, the Rev. Edward Mellish, Dean of Hereford, who died in 1830, and was buried in the chancel, where there are several ancient and modern monuments, and a mutilated effigy, supposed to represent Sir Edm. de Berry.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £7.6s., was augmented in 1723 with £200, given by F. Tilney, Esq., and £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty. It is consolidated with that of Honingham. The Rev. Wm. Smith is the incumbent, and Lord Bayning is the patron and impropriator.
Here is a National School for this parish and Honingham.
East Tuddenham TOWN LANDS, 16A.1R., were given by John Proo, in the 19th of Henry VIII., to pay the common charges of the parish. To this property an allotment of 6A. was awarded at the enclosure, and the whole is now let for £37.10s. per annum, which is applied in aid of the poor rates. There are also five cottages, supposed to have been given by John Proo, and occupied by paupers.
The FUEL ALLOTMENT, awarded in 1804, is 25A., let for about £40, which is distributed in coals among the poor. Frederick Tilney, in 1717, gave three tenements for the residence of poor parishioners, and they now consist of five small cottages, to which 2R. 26P. of land was allotted at the enclosure. In 1705, the Rev. Jeremiah and Mary Revans gave 1½A. of land, called Seabornes, for distributions of bread every fortnight, and a yearly sermon. The former also gave for the same uses a yearly rent-charge of 39s, out of a [f]arm now belonging to Mr. Balls. The poor have the following yearly doles, viz., 6s. from Mowting's Charity; 3s. from land left by an unknown donor; and £2.8s.6d. paid by Lord Bayning, as the gift of the Rev. T.R. Duquesne, who died about 1785.
Child Thos. blacksmith and horse dlr. Comer James wheelwright Gooch John Kerr, Esq. Murrell Wm. cattle dlr. and beerhs Neave Thomas carpenter Parker Wm. grocer and draper Smith Rev. Wm. M.A. vicar Taylor Richardson butcher Thurston Danl. joiner and vict. Bull Turner Stephen shopkeeper Want Wm. baker FARMERS. (* are Owners.) Bales Wm. Barker John (to J.K. Gooch, Esq.) *Child Wm (& horse dealer) Child Thomas Curson Mary Harrison Mattw. Kirby John Cole *Leach John Newman Mrs. Saunders Henry Sussens Benj. Tann John Tyler Ann *Vassar Thomas *Vassar Wm. Wright Thomas
Copyright © Pat Newby.