[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
TOTTENHILL, or. correctly, Westbrigg-cum-Tottenhill, a village near the London Road, 5 miles S. by E. of Lynn and N. by E. of Downham, is in Downham union and county court district, Clackclose petty sessional division, Lynn bankruptcy district, Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen polling district of West Norfolk, Clackclose hundred, Fincham rural deanery, and archdeaconry of Norfolk. It had 367 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1590 acres of land (only 1448A. 2R. 10P. in the rate books), and has a rateable value of £2216 5s. George Coote, Esq., Sudbury, is lord of the manor; but William Boon and William Cater, Esqs., Rev. Canon Birch, J.R. Mills, W.G. Hoff, and Thomas Stevenson, Esqrs., are the chief landowners.
WESTBRIGG, now only two houses and 91A. 2R. 2P. of land, and now in the parish of Tottenhill, but divided from it by part of Wormegay parish, was anciently a separate parish. The present Tottenhill Church, which is the parish church, stands on the Westbrigg land, about half a mile east from the village of Tottenhill. Tottenhill Row is a hamlet in this parish. There are several springs of excellent water in the parish.
The CHURCH (St. Botolph), is a small fabric, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower containing one bell. The church was repaired in 1877, at a cost of £200, when the floor was repaved and new seats put up. The remains of a rich coloured decoration were found on the east wall of the nave on stripping off the plaster; and on each side of the chancel arch was an altar recessed out of the wall. There was an effigy of Thomas, brother of Henry IV., on a bench end, but was mutilated in 1839. It was presented to Daniel Gurney, Esq., of North Runcton, in 1861, by the curate of this parish.
The perpetual curacy, which was augmented with £1000 of Queen Anne's Bounty from 1767 to 1842, and again in 1876 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and is now valued at £300 a year, is in the incumbency of the Rev. William Henry Henslowe, M.A., of Wormegay. The Bishop of Norwich is patron and appropriator.
The Poor's Land, 16A. 8P., let for £33, was awarded at the enclosure in 1780, in lieu of commonright and other land, which had belonged to the poor. The rent is distributed in coal. The poor have the right of cutting fuel and pasturing geese on about 30A. of common.
The Primitive Methodist Chapel was erected in 1881, at a cost of £350, on land given by Mr. W.G. Hoff. It will seat 150 people.
POST OFFICE at Mr. G. Butter's. Letters are received at 8.35 a.m., and are despatched at 3.45 p.m. viâ Lynn, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Baker Nicholas bricklyr. Tottenhill row Baker Robert bricklayer and shopkpr Boon John beerhouse Boon William farmer, landowner, and road surveyor, Manor house Butter G. postmaster Chapman Thomas farmer, Westbrigg Childs Robert farmer, Tottenhill row Fox Charles carpenter Franklin - blacksmith Mackay Mr Fredk. Noel Oakwood hs Palmer James farmer and cattle dlr Rodwell John Panton corn miller, corn merchant, baker, assistant overseer and tax collector Staines George fish & poultry dealer, Tottenhill row Thompson Mrs Charlotte Towler John farm bailiff Towler Stephen farmer Warren Walter Jacob farmer Wix John vict. Dray & Horses, & frmr Youngs Chas. carpenter & wheelwright
CARRIERS pass through to Lynn
The nearest Railway Station is Magdalen Road
See also the Tottenhill parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.