Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Tottenhill

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

TOTTENHILL, a straggling village, near the Downham road, 5 miles S. by E. of Lynn, has in its parish 426 souls, and 1,463 acres of land, mostly the property of C.B.P. Plestow, Esq., the lord of the manor.

The CHURCH, (St. Botolph,) is in that part of the parish called WEST-BRIGGS, and is a small fabric, with a lofty tower. The living is a perpetual curacy, which was augmented with £1,000 of Queen Anne's Bounty, from 1767 to 1842, and valued in 1831 at £62. The Bishop of Ely is appropriator and patron, and the Rev. Wm. Harold Henslowe, incumbent.

The Poor's Land, 16A. 8P., let for £34, was awarded at the enclosure, in 1780, in lieu of commonright and other land, which had belonged to the poor. The rent is distributed in coals. At the same time, Allotments, containing 30A., were awarded to the poor for fuel and the pasturage of geese, &c.

Directory:-

	Henslowe  Rev. Wm. Henry  incumbent

	Butter    Thos.           miller & baker
	Claydon   Edward          vict., Dray and Horse
	Stevens   Robert          blacksmith

	   farmers.

	Allen     Thomas
	Allflatt  Wm.
	Gant      John
	Panton    Thomas
	Thompson  Ambrose
	Rodwell   John
	Towler    Stephen
	Wicks     Francis

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

See also the Tottenhill parish page.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
May 2002