TOFT-MONKS, 6 miles S.E. by E. of Loddon, and 4 miles N. of Beccles, has in its parish 349 inhabitants, and 2195A. of land, including 600A. of marsh, and 76A. of woods and plantations.
The principal owners of the soil are W. Carpenter, Esq., Mr. S. Grimmer, and the Master and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge. The latter are lords of the manor, appropriators of the great tithes, (commuted in 1840, for £496 per ann.,) and patrons of the Church, (St. Margaret,) which is a small fabric with an elegant tower. The benefice is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8, and consolidated with that of Haddiscoe. The glebe is 26A., and the common 13A.
The Town Estate consists of three tenements, a garden, and 11A. 3R. 3P., let for £28 a year, which is applied with the church rates. The poor have the dividends of £42 new 3½ per cent. stock, left by Wm. Crisp, in 1798.
Carpenter Wm. Esq. Chalker Charles shopkeeper Copeman Wm. butcher and beerhs. Farrar John wheelwright Forder James carpenter Garrood Diana vict. Lion Inn Page Mr Thos. Tripp Robt. smith FARMERS. - (* are Owners.) *Fuller Jas. Fuller J. and Robt. Godfrey Wm. Hewitt Thos. Parker *Holt Mrs *Maddle Wm. Woodthorpe Charles Wooltorton Robert
Copyright © Pat Newby.