[Transcription copyright © David E.A. Matthews]
TITTLESHALL-CUM-GODWICK forms a parish, with a neat village of the former name, 2 miles N. of Litcham, and 6 miles S. by W. of Fakenham. The parish is in Mitford union, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Launditch hundred, Mitford and Loddon petty sessional division, Litcham polling district of West Norfolk, Brisley rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry.
It had 514 inhabitants in 1881, living on 3364 acres, and had a rateable value of £4366. Nearly all the parish, which includes about 300 acres of woods and wastes, belong to the Earl of Leicester, and forms the manors of Greynstones, or Caley, Coxford, Godwick hall, Peekhall, and Newhall, and part of the manors of Whissonsett and Burghwoodhall. Sir William Foster, Bart., is steward for these manors, and holds the court leet and baron in October; but here are only few copyholders, and their fines are certain.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) is a neat structure of Perpendicular architecture, comprising nave, chancel, south porch, and square tower with four bells, and in 1853 was furnished with new open seats, pulpit, and reading-desk. The ancient screen still remains, and at the north side of the chancel is the vault of the Coke family. Here is a splendid marble monument to Sir Edward Coke (see page 328 [which is the entry for Holkham]) with his effigy in full length, erected at a cost of upwards of £400. Here are likewise several other handsome monuments to the Coke family, one of which has effigies of Sir Edward's wife and eight children. The late venerable Earl of Leicester was interred in 1842 in this church, where there is a monument in memory of his first wife (Mrs. Coke), which cost 3000 guineas, and was executed by Nollekens.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9 12s. 8d., was consolidated with those of Godwick and Wellingham, in 1630, and is in the patronage of the Earl of Leicester, and incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. Kenelm Henry Digby, M.A., who has about 53 acres of glebe, a yearly tithe rent-charge of £947, and a good residence, which he has considerably enlarged.
The National School was built in 1836 by the rector, who in 1863 also erected an Infants' School, which is used as a reading-room every evening.
The Baptists and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here.
GODWICK, now only one farm, 1 mile N. of Tittleshall, was anciently a separate parish, but its church, of which the ruined tower still remains, was dilapidated more than two centuries ago. The old Hall, now in ruins, was built by Sir Edward Coke.
The Fuel Allotment, awarded more than 120 years ago, consists of 40 acres, on which all the parishioners, except the farmers, are allowed to turn cattle, for the yearly payment of 21s. per head. The money thus received (about £20 per annum) is distributed in coals among the poor. The Poor's Wood is held by the Earl of Leicester, who in 1877 transferred £70 consols to the official trustees of charitable funds, in lieu of the £2 2s. formerly paid by him, and his estate is released from all further liability in respect to the sum in question, viz., £2 2s. The poor have also the interest of £10, left by Mr. William Haylett.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Robert Kerrison's. Arrive at 7.15 a.m., despatched at 5.35 p.m. No Sunday's delivery. Letters via Swaffham (through Litcham.) Litcham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Betts Mrs Marianne farmer Branford Womack frmr. Godwick hall Burcham James farmer, woodman to the Earl of Leicester Crowe Henry farmer, High house Deek Rev. Francis E., curate, Woodford lodge B.A. Digby Hon. & Rev. Kenelm (Hon. Canon of Norwich and Rural Henry, M.A. Dean), Rectory Forby Miss Ann Hooks Alfred builder Hooks - builders and contractors Hooks George builder Hooks Jno. vict. Ostrich; & blacksmith Hooks Mitchell builder Kerrison Robert grocer, draper, and post office agent to the Accidental Assurance Co. (lim.) Moore John baker Moulton James William boot and shoe maker; and shopkeeper Palmer John fish dealer Palmer Mrs Sarah Ann Payne Robert Bacon grocer & draper Riches Edmund shoemaker Roberson John butcher Sizeland Mrs Sarah Ann farmer Swann Rev. Johnson curate, The Curacy Fowell, B.A. Travis Thomas farmer, Wicken Webster Wm. butcher and beerhouse
See also the Tittleshall cum Godwick parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.