Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Tilney St Lawrence

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

TILNEY ST. LAWRENCE, 6½ miles S.W. of Lynn, and the same distance E.N.E. of Wisbech, is a large but scattered village and parish, which has increased its population since the year 1801, from 362 to 762 souls, and comprises 3,076A. 2R. 5P. of enclosed land, belonging to a number of freeholders, and partly lying in the same manors as Tilney All Saints, to which this is considered a parochial chapelry, - the benefice and tithes being in the same incumbency, patronage and appropriation; but the parishioners refused, some years ago to pay church rates to All Saints, having their own large CHURCH (dedicated to St. Lawrence,) to keep in repair. The latter appears to be as ancient as the former, and consequently, we should presume there is legally no other connexion between them, further than the consolidation of the livings. The glebe here is 5 acres, and the Church land 7½ acres. The vicar has here 3A. of land, left by John Crane.

A yearly rent charge of £2 was left to the poor, by Ellen Stallet, out of land, now belonging to the Sutterby family.

The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here, and another at FEN-END, a hamlet partly in this parish. (See page 564 [which is the entry for Freebridge Marshland Hundred.)

Those marked + are at Fen-End, and * are land owners.

	  Cullen      Mrs. Margaret    gentlewoman
	  Gathergood  John             joiner, brick and tile maker,
	                                 and lime burner
	  Gilding     William          butcher
	  Girdlestone William          plumber, &c.
	  Hall        Joseph           saddler, &c.
	  Johnson     John             carpenter
	  Oliver      George           schoolmaster
	  Riches      James            tailor

	                  PUBLIC HOUSES.

	  Andrews     John             Buck
	  Stearn      George           Coach and Horses
	  Bettinson   George           Plough, Smeeth
	  Smith       Charles          Plough, Fen-End

	     Beer Houses.                 Bricklayers.

	  Cooke       Jno.,brewer      Elvey        John
	  Elvey       John             Gathergood   Saml.
	  Jacklin     John,(& tailor)  Gathergood   Robt.
	  Patterson   James

	     Blacksmiths.                 Corn Millers and Bakers.

	  Mallows     John             Bullen       William
	  Rickwood    James            Edge         John
	                             + Sutterby     Richd.

	                     FARMERS.

	  Bailey      John             Munson       John
	* Bailey      Samuel           Pollyn       Robert
	  Batterham   Wm.              Pollyn       Thomas
	* Bird        Robert        +* Pollyn       William
	  Brooks      Lowden         * Prior        Jacob
	* Clements    John           + Prior        John
	  Coe         Mrs.             Roofe        Mrs. F.
	  Coe         Robert           Roofe        John
	  Curtis      John             Sherwood     James
	  Gathergood  Jph.           * Starr        John
	  Failes      Cphr.         +* Sutterby     Daniel
	+ Goddard     Cphr.          * Sutterby     George
	* Goddard     George         * Sutterby     John
	* Johnson     Richd.         + Terrington   Wm.
	* Josh        Isaac            Vincent      Robert
	  Leary       William          Wales        William
	  Metcalf     William

	     Shoemakers.

	  Betney      Charles
	  Cullen      Edward,
	                (& butcher)

	     Shopkeepers.                 Wheelwrights.

	  Collison    George           Johnson      John and William
	  Cooke       John             Kitteringham W.
	  Edge        John             Mountseer    Wm.
	  Seaman      Richard,
	                (and butcher)

See also the Tilney St Lawrence parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
October 2005