TILNEY-CUM-ISLINGTON, or Islington, 4 to 7 miles W.S.W. of Lynn, is a parish of scattered houses on the west bank of that broad part of the old river Ouse, which has been converted into pasture ground since the diversion of the waters into the Eau-Brink Cut. It is in Wisbech union, Lynn county court district and bankruptcy district, Freebridge Marshland hundred and petty sessional division, Tilney St. Lawrence polling district of West Norfolk, Lynn Marshland rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry.
The river was here nearly half a mile in width, confined within artificial banks, and is now crossed by a good turnpike from the old ferry-boat house. Islington contained 291 inhabitants in 1881, has 1651A. 0R. 22P. of land, extending southward to the Smeeth and Fen, and a rateable value of £3025.
Richard Bagge, Esq., owns a great part of the soil and is lord of the manor, which extends into the adjacent parish of Tilney All Saints. George Johnson, Esq., the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, and Sir W.H. Ffolkes, Bart., M.P., also have estates here. The Hall was erected in 1619, but the greater part of it was rebuilt about 100 years ago. It is now the seat of Captain Thomas Edward Bagge, J.P., and its grounds are well wooded and contain some fine elms and cedars.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) stands in the park, and is a neat stone edifice, comprising nave, chancel, transepts, and square tower with two bells. In the chancel is a handsome stained glass window. The parish Register dates from 1559.
The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., and now at £230, being augmented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1874, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor and incumbency of the Rev. William Baker Punsfer, A.K.C., F.R.G.S., who has a small residence, built about 1846 at a cost of £500. The glebe is 4A. 2R. 25P., and the church land 2A. in Tilney St. Lawrence parish.
The School was built in 1852 by Mrs. Hulton, and enlarged in 1873 at a cost of £150; it is now attended by 57 children. The Sunday School, near the church, was erected in 1864. The poor have six cottages, which were rebuilt in 1834.
Here is a WALL LETTER BOX, cleared at 4.10 p.m. week days only, viâ Lynn. Wiggenhall St. Germans is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Allen Solomon parish clerk & sexton Bagge Captain Thomas Edward, J.P. Islington hall Bart Crawford vict. Bridge Inn, and farmer Beckett Thos. Hall frmr. Wind's bdge Cassell John shopkeeper & hawker Gardner Thomas farmer, Salgate hs Inglet James farmer, road surveyor, rate collector, assessor and collector of land and income tax Ingram Charles farmer Jarvis Charles carpenter Johnson George farmer & landowner, White hall Little Harry Leet farmer Norgen Robert farm bailiff Punsfer Rev. William Baker, A.K.C., F.R.G.S. vicar Sharrod Mrs Eliz. Hope schlmistress Stevens Jph. engineer, Tilney Fen end Youngs John victualler, Fox & Goose, and blacksmith
Copyright © Pat Newby.