ISLINGTON, or TILNEY-CUM-ISLINGTON, 3 miles W.S.W. of Lynn, is a parish of dispersed houses on the west bank of that broad part of the old river Ouse, which has been converted into pasture ground since the diversion of the waters into the Eau-Brink-Cut. The river was here nearly half a mile in width, confined within artificial banks, and is now crossed by a good turnpike from the old ferry boat house.
Islington contains 251 inhabitants, and 1,510 acres of land, extending southward to the Smeeth and Fen, and including the hamlets of THORNTON's BRIDGE and LORD's BRIDGE, from 2½ to 3½ miles S. of ISLINGTON HALL, the rural and well wooded seat of Edw. Bagge Esq., the lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil. The manor extends into the adjacent parish of Tilney-All-Saints.
The CHURCH, a neat structure standing in the park, is dedicated to St. Mary. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., and in 1831, at £74, in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. James Royle, of Stanfield. The glebe is 5A., and the Church land 2A.
At Thornton's Bridge are six cottages, belonging to the poor, and rebuilt in 1834.
Those marked * in the following Directory, are at Lord's Bridge, and + at Thornton's Bridge.
Bagge Edwd., Esq. Islington Hall Coe Mrs. Mary gentlewoman Edge John shopkeeper * Fox Luke beerhouse * Newman John vict., Lord's Bridge Patterson John parish clerk Royle Rev. J., jun. curate FARMERS. Coe Clements + Coe Robert + Hill John Jennery William + Johnson Richd. Terrington Wm. Smeeth Warnes Thomas Winearls Chas.
Copyright © Pat Newby.